Bangle2: incorrect time after weekend

Posted on
Page
of 2
/ 2
Next
  • Hello!

This morning my wife took her Bangle2 from the bedside table and she noticed the time was wrong, ~100 minutes behind.

She didn't use the Bangle2 during the weekend. In fact, her Bangle stood still on the bedside table for all the weekend (no connection with store nor GB).

Her default clock is Contour Clock v0.01 but I don't think this is the issue: the time was wrong in the Bangle settings. The firmware is v2.12 (latest stable). Battery is > 50%.

Is a Store/GB connection required to keep time updated?

Has this happened to anyone else?

Thank you :-)

• Hi - that's extremely odd.

You'd expect the Bangle's time to wander my maybe around 2 seconds a day - it's been covered in other threads but it's kind of what you expect from pretty much any computer-based clock. 100 minutes is way out though.

Maybe keep an eye on it and see if it happens again? Are you sure it was set correctly at the start? All I can think is maybe something kept rebooting it - a reboot can lose a few seconds and if it happens over and over it could add up

• Hi Gordon, thank you for your answer.

Are you sure it was set correctly at the start?

100% sure

All I can think is maybe something kept rebooting it - a reboot can lose a few seconds and if it happens over and over it could add up

We didn't notice but now we'll keep an eye on it ;-)

I don't know if it's related somehow but he previous Sunday (30/01) her Bangle stuck at some point. She noticed over half an hour later that the time was wrong and she cannot open the launcher (the default clock was Contour Clock v0.01). She had to restart with the physical button. This time, however, it wasn't stuck.

• You'd expect the Bangle's time to wander my maybe around 2 seconds a day ...

More like 5-6 seconds per day, but yeah definitely not minutes.

... it's kind of what you expect from pretty much any computer-based clock ...

Not really, computers tend to have more accurate clocks in my experience.

• I also have an issue with time. I had to add something like 10 minutes a few days ago.
    To make a fair test, I've set the time at midnight and 10 minutes according to real precise world time. I'll give you more news about it by the end of the day.

• her Bangle stuck at some point. She noticed over half an hour later that the time was wrong and she cannot open the launcher

When you restarted the Bangle,was the clock actually telling you the right time? Or could the problem be that the clock just didn't display the time correctly?

If the Bangle actually totally locked up it could be an issue, but if you could reset it by holding the button that means that the system timer was working and time should probably have been kept ok.

... it's kind of what you expect from pretty much any computer-based clock ...
    Not really, computers tend to have more accurate clocks in my experience.

This isn't the place for this discussion, but if you do a quick google it seems pretty clear that PCs all have quite a lot of clock drift. The only reason they stay accurate now is because they're pretty much all connected to the internet.

For instance I haven't set the time in my Panasonic camera (which isn't a cheap device) for maybe a year or more. I just checked, and it's now over 20 minutes out.

• ... PCs all have quite a lot of clock drift ...

My Bangle.js 2 has about 60 PPM clock drift at room temperature and Raspberry Pi 3 has about 6 PPM - i.e. 10 times better.

• When you restarted the Bangle,was the clock actually telling you the right time? Or could the problem be that the clock just didn't display the time correctly?

Yes, after the reboot the time was right.

If the Bangle actually totally locked up it could be an issue, but if you could reset it by holding the button that means that the system timer was working and time should probably have been kept ok.

Ok, so it was probably an issue with Contour Clock? Before the reboot I could not open the settings with the button.

• I had the same today. Watch was stuck on old time (like 60 minutes behind).
    I was not able to unlock it with a short button press until i rebooted the device.
    FW: 2v12.12

• @nyxor: Do you use ContourClock as well? I am the author of that clock and have the same issue. My clock locks up occasionally, but unlock with the button has always worked so far, and when returning from the launcher the time is updated again.

• No i am using Circles clock.

This issue happens only since a few days - never had this before.

• It happened to me just now. Frozen on clock screen (Circles clock), Bluetooth not connectable, no wake on twist, no reaction to short or longer button press. After total reboot with long press time is correct again. Firmware 2v12.

• In search of lost time has been solved for me !!
    I update to the edge firmware each time there's a new one. The updating process takes around 3-4 minutes and the clock seems not to be ticking during this while, resulting in a delay just after the update.

• I update to the edge firmware each time there's a new one. The updating process takes around 3-4 minutes and the clock seems not to be ticking during this while, resulting in a delay just after the update.

Yes, that'd do it! If you update using the new Firmware Updater in the App Loader the situation will be a lot better, but you will still lose a few seconds.

For the ~1 hour out issue...

Ok, so we're saying that the Bangle actually keeps the correct time. The issue is that the clock is no longer updating?

It happens with Contour Clock and Circles Clock?

Have you installed any other apps/widgets? Because I know a while back there was an issue where Q Alarm would just clear all timeouts which would stop clocks from working at midnight, and I wonder if maybe another app is doing something similar.

• I changed the code to use interval instead of timeout. So far, it seems to be reliable.
    I use only the battery level and lock widget.

• To those using ContourClock: Could you try this version and see if the issue is solved? Thanks!

• The problem with missing update of the screen is not because of setTimout() as Circles clock is using setInterval() for updating the screen since forever.
    Also this could not cause the non working button.

• @RaoulDuke, i’ m using your Contour clock and had the same issue of frozen time a few days ago in the morning. Only holding the button put back the bangle on time.
    I’ m now with your latest dev version, and no issue so far ^^

• It happened two more times :-(

The first time yesterday morning: my wife noticed the time was ~1h behind. After she rebooted the time was correct. Her clock was Nifty-A Clock. She had only the default apps/widgets + the pedometer widget, android, message & Swiper Clock Launch.

Yesterday evening I installed the default apps (via the web utility) and then android + message + pedometer widget on her Bangle to see if the problem was Nifty-A clock.

The second time just now, again ~1h behind. This time her clock is Anton Clock (the default).
    She says that while the time was wrong the Bangle didn't receive notifications. Again, after a reboot the time fixes itself.
    Also before the reboot she cannot open the launcher, the ui was frozen.

Now I just factory-reset her Bangle. Hope it's not faulty :-(

• You mentioned it in the button thread too I think, but I really don't think your wife's Bangle is broken!

Also before the reboot she cannot open the launcher, the ui was frozen.

Ok, thanks for trying default apps. Well, at least that narrows it down - so the clock is still running (internally), it's just not responding to input or updating the screen.

• Does a ~2 sec button press do anything, or is it a full reboot (via the bootloader) that's required?
    • When it's frozen, can you connect by Bluetooth?
    • If you plug/unplug the charger when it's frozen, does the Bangle vibrate? I'm trying to work out whether the issue is that the display has stopped updating, or whether everything is locked up.

As always, it's extremely difficult for me to debug and fix issues happening on the other side of the world, so if anyone can come up with a way of reliably (or even semi-reliably) making this happen so I can reproduce here then it'll be much easier for me to sort it out.

• Does a ~2 sec button press do anything, or is it a full reboot (via the bootloader) that's required?

Nothing, it need a full reboot.

When it's frozen, can you connect by Bluetooth? / If you plug/unplug the charger when it's frozen, does the Bangle vibrate?

I don't know, I haven't tried :-( If it happens again I will do these checks.

Thanks for now :-)

• My wife says she reads the notification on the watch (she loves this feature) but she usually does not open the message so after 60s the blinking envelope appears in the widget bar.

@Gordon Could the blinking envelope/unread messages be related to the freezing issue? Maybe there's a memory leak somewhere... It just popped into my mind, I don't know if it makes sense :-D (I'll try to replicate the issue)

• It's possible, yes...

Does your wife have lots of messages she leaves unread? I guess it's possible that the memory on the watch gets full (although usually it should display a 'MEMORY' warning in the bottom).

Actually in Settings -> Utils -> Debug Info you can now set it to Log

So if you do that when it happens again you can hopefully restart, connect with the IDE, then download the contents of the log.txt file from Storage and it may give you some ideas what's up.

• Yesterday I set her watch's Debug Info to Log.

This morning the screen was "strange": is this expected? I just set the Log on my watch, no issue for the moment.

Her firmware is release 2.12, mine is v2.12.31.

2 Attachments

• photo_2022-02-18_09-33-44 (2).jpg
    • photo_2022-02-18_09-33-44.jpg
  • Does your wife have lots of messages she leaves unread?

There are really not so many messages, mostly less than half a dozen.

• Post a reply
    • Bold
    • Italics
    • Link
    • List
    • code
    • Preview
About

Bangle2: incorrect time after weekend

Posted by Avatar for Alessandro @Alessandro

Actions