I demand BangleJS3!

Posted on
Page
of 9
  • Thanks - yes, NFC would be a nice addition as it's on the chip as well.

GPS is a difficult one - it does make the watch a lot more expensive/difficult, but it does have uses. For example I use my watch for running when I don't want to carry my chunky smartphone but I do want to log the run...

@fanoush in 2v19 I added some code to the firmware so that you could actually turn the HRM LED on/off and could use the sensor to read raw analog values - you could definitely hold the watch against your PC/phone screen and use it to detect the screen flashing on and off in a set way :) I'll try and upload the sample code I have which counts light pulses...

• It is not safe to listen to music while riding a bicycle, so I am against the appearance of a third version of the watch. I hope if there are no buttons on the watch there will be fewer idiots listening to music on their bike

• if you were correct, then how can you explain Sony's walkman -> discman -> mp3 player/ipod -> smart phone+head phone?

illegal drugs are more idiot but it's common among some people.

it's called "natural selection"

• I completely agree, let's hope that people who listen to music on their bikes don't kill anyone the moment they kill themselves on their bikes. And let's use only legal psychotropic drugs

• I think it is personal choice, but do agree its a dangerous thing to do. Personally I would never wear headphones on a bike or in a car. I do see people do this. I dont feel safe on a bike unless I can hear what is around me.

I do recall that LSD was first experienced whilst riding a bike.
    https://www.bikingbis.com/2013/04/19/wor­lds-first-lsd-trip-happened-on-a-bike-ri­de/

NOTE: I am not advocating LSD and would never do it. Besides if you take to much LDS you end up with dyslexia.

• uhm I wonder what the deal with bikes is here. The first mention I see is the post by user156955 who brought it up with the warning in the very same post. For some reason I don't get this person associates listening to music to music while riding a bike. Lets just stop this discussion here and I spare you my view on it.

• I had lots of fun with this one:

to much LDS you end up with dyslexia.

Not supporting LSD here, btw. About listening to surroundings while exercising, I have to mention that bone conduction earphones are pretty trendy amongst runners and cyclists... It's a bit like having a background music in a movie, while still being able to hear perfectly clearly what's going on around (except if you put volume really too loud). https://piped.video/watch?v=M3xrcsCGnSY

• Is a v3 still an option for the future? I'm just asking because my BangleJS2 (I love it) is getting somehow old. Not in the meaning of old hardware, but simply it becomes worn out and I'm now in the situation of thinking about a new watch. Not tomorrow, but this year. But I don't find a better fit for me than an open watch. BangleJS is sold out at Espruino dealers here in Germany so this is also not an option.

• uhm, what do you mean by "worn out"?

• Scratches, Button and one of my two kickstartes died of corrosion of the contacts. On the second one the corrosion is starting although it is covered with a plastic strip.

• Try nail polish on the contacts. For the display try scratch remover polish. Not sure what to do about the button.

• Thank you for the hints, but I just wanted to know whether there will be a V3 in sight somewhere in 2024/25, just for the decision to stay or to move to other watches.

• It may come with a higher delivery cost, but I had my Bj2 sent from GB (Espruino shop) to Australia (Kickstarter campaign). I've checked the website and Germany is in the destination country list https://www.espruino.com/Bangle.js2 , so it looks like you can still order it :). Also, there's a silicon protective cover in this online shop, you might be interested in if you bump it on a regular base.

• Hi - there are no immediate plans for a Bangle.js 3, in fact I'm due a delivery of another large batch of Bangle.js 2 in a few weeks so there definitely won't be anything in 2024.

While I'm interested in getting a wishlist for a Bangle.js 3 to see what people like and don't like, and doing one at some point, I want to release some other Espruino-based devices before I even consider a v3 Bangle.

Right now Bangle.js 2 does a lot of things right, and while it can doubtless be improved the cost of developing a brand new device is huge, so I can't afford to just keep pushing new ones out every 2 years unless it's going to be a vast improvement :)

• Hi Gordon,

thank you for your reply. That is the information i was looking for. Especially that BangleJS v2 will be continued for the next time. So I consider to buy another one.

Tx

• FYI, I bought my BangleJS 2 at Berrybase (here in Germany) in September last year.
    They were out of stock but I asked them (via Instagram) when there would be a new batch and iirc they bought a new batch then and after some time they'd be available again.
    So you might just give that a shot...

• My wishlist:

1. OLED or (even cooler) e-ink
    2. more buttons (useful but not strictly needed)
    3. accelerometer with integrated step counter (Bosch has some really good ones)
    4. PPG sensor with well documented HW and SW
    5. multi color PPG (for example green and infrared) for oxygen saturation

I think that there is demand for really programmable smartwatches. So far the only ones I am aware of are yours and PineTime.

• FYI, I bought my BangleJS 2 at Berrybase (here in Germany) in September last year. They were out of stock .

They are out of stock again, but said they will order a new batch which should be available in three weeks.

• Earbuds would be a good new device to release...we can call them bangle buds, rolls off the tongue...and any new watch should be circular, not the "apple-like" rectangular shape the bangle 2 currently resembles. Apple is the devil

• The watch shape really comes down to the display. I think the memory LCD is a good fit for Espruino - it's low power, and low enough pixel count the processor can update it quickly. Having to go for round limits your options a bit - it'll also ensure the vast majority of existing apps won't work... That seems like a bit hit to take just for aesthetics.

For ear buds - I just wonder what features Espruino could add in an ear bud? I guess if it had some voice recognition and synthesis built in, and then with JS you could script what happened - but that's quite a step away from the kind of things Espruino is normally used for!

• For ear buds - I just wonder what features Espruino could add in an ear bud?

In theory what we could add is hacking some way of streaming audio into the ear buds from other BLE espruino devices. However the chances of nrf52 being in earbuds is probably zero, maybe newer (nrf53 and up) are a bit more likely with BLE audio coming.

Or when linking some text to speech engine into the ear buds firmware the data transfers could be pretty low (just sending text). Or MIDI over BLE could work. Also it could act as a HID device.

• Or how about the buds having build in storage?

• ...and any new watch should be circular, not the "apple-like" rectangular shape the bangle 2 currently resembles.

Some of us prefer a rectangular watch while others prefer a circular one. Analog wristwatches used to be circular because they make better use of the space for the hands (rectangular watches also existed, but were less common). Digital watches since the 1970's have been usually rectangular because they make better use of rectangular displays (which are better from a hardware point of view and for displaying information). Circular digital watches are the "new trend" and in my opinion are worse for ergonomics and displaying information. I think that nearly all of us would agree that circular watches with rectangular displays (like Bangle.js 1) are the worst of both worlds.

I really like the Bangle.js 2 display, but I would prefer the display to be larger with thinner bezels.

Apple is the devil

Yes, but they didn't invent rectangular watches (like with most things people associate Apple with).

• Yes, but they didn't invent rectangular watches

Indeed, and by "apple-like" rectangular shape I would understand something bulky, curved, with rotating crow.
    Also I'd say Bangle 2 is not ugly at first sight so it is definitely not "apple-like" rectangular shape ;-) https://www.google.com/search?q=apple+wa­tch+ugly

• Post a reply
    • Bold
    • Italics
    • Link
    • List
    • code
    • Preview
About

I demand BangleJS3!

Posted by Avatar for Micha_home @Micha_home

Actions