Gordon

Member since Sep 2013 • Last active Dec 2021

Most recent activity

• in Bangle.js

It's the front - it's a bit of a nightmare, but it's like replacing an iPhone screen - you need to heat the screen up with a hairdryer or something then carefully pull it away, which you really need to do with a suction cup.

It's not easy I'm afraid - if you can't get it off with suction you could cut a little bit of the plastic front bezel down so you can get under the LCD and lever, but then you need to be really careful about cracking it

• in Bangle.js

That is interesting - someone posted a GitHub issue about the backlight turning on and off a while back. Is it because the Bangle is routinely being connected and disconnected? I bet the widget lights the screen when the connection status changes

• in Bangle.js

Nice - so this could definitely be implemented for Bangle.js, but it seems like it won't 'just work' for Bangle.js.

So the docs suggest using the NRF Tool because that's the way of doing firmware updates that actually works right now.

I imagine it should also be using the exact same firmware update libs so I'm surprised there is any speed difference.

However you may have noticed a beta firmware update app in the App Loader, and when that works nicely (eg I can get it to load ZIP files reliably from the espruino website) then that should be super speedy and easy as it can be done without resetting the Bangle into bootloader mode.

• in Bangle.js

It's the message that gets sent back to the phone - either OPEN or DISMISS for messages, or ACCEPT/REJECT for calls (when that works). So I think it should have an effect on whether the message disappears from your phone's notifications

• in Bangle.js

Thanks! That does seem like a really strange one...

When it's not working, please could you tell me what D36.read() reports back?

Also, please could you try running Bangle.setLocked(1);Bangle.setLocked(0);­ and see if that brings it back to life?

My guess is for some reason the communications with the touchscreen aren't 100% reliable. The touchscreen pulls an IRQ line low when there's data and then when it's read out it goes high - but if the read failed then I guess it'd be stuck low.

It'd be really good to see if completely flattening the battery and recharging fixed it (as that would reset the touch IC), but if it is what I think it is, it should be pretty easy to detect the problem and fix in software.

• in Bangle.js

Argh, sorry about that. It's very interesting that the screen actually worked for you for a while first. Have you seen any other activity out of it, like it buzzing? Does the backlight light up, even though the display is black?

Do you think you could try connecting to it via Bluetooth again? because it's possible that with all the button pressing it just got into bootloader mode (which it'd exit after ~1 minute of inactivity).

It sounds a lot like maybe the battery is totally flat and for some reason it's not charging. Thanks for checking the cable voltage - please could you just take a look at the rear connectors on the watch and see if they look ok? Maybe give them a quick rub with a cloth and try again?

But otherwise I guess it may be replacement time.

• in Puck.js, Pixl.js and MDBT42

My question is if this is a legit way to do it or if I should expect any problems?

No, that sounds fine. A FET shouldn't really need a resistor - just make sure that at boot time you digitalWrite(0) to stop it floating, which could leave the sensor on/off.

Only thing I would add - are you powering the sensor from 3.3v, or from the LiPo? Because if it's from the LiPo you could hit problems - when the FET is off, the sensor will then be sitting at 3.7v (including the IO lines) which will be putting stress on the microcontroller. No problem if you're powering from 3.3v though

• in Bangle.js

Argh - how long have you had the Bangle?

There's a note about this on the wiki and Bangle reference: https://www.espruino.com/Bangle.js2#skin­-irritation-warning

But basically there's a small voltage (3.3v) across the middle two pins for the debug connector. It's extremely low current (0.0001A) but it seems if the back of the Bangle gets salty (I guess from sweat) it can cause corrosion.

It's kind of strange as I've been wearing one of these for better part of a year and never had issues, but I guess it's not desperately warm here and I haven't been wearing it for any strenuous exercise.

Will the Bangle still charge ok? If so, please could you put something over the middle two pins? Just a bit of tape, or laquer/nail varnish. It won't affect what you can do with the Bangle at all, but it will totally stop this corrosion.

I'd have applied something before sending these out, but unfortunately they were pretty much all out the door before I heard from anyone about the issue.

• in Bangle.js

You could use the Bangle.touch function which would work fine on both watches: http://www.espruino.com/Reference#l_Bang­le_touch

Bangle.on('touch', function(button, xy) { 
      if (button==1) toggleTimeDigits();
      if (button==2) toggleDateFormat();
    });

• in Bangle.js

I wasn't even aware Gadgetbridge did firmware updates, but that is really neat!

Have yo actually been able to do a firmware update on Bangle.js using Gadgetbridge? Because there are a bunch of different protocols so it may be that Bangle's isn't supported

Actions