Gordon

Member since Sep 2013 • Last active Dec 2019

Most recent activity

• in Bangle.js

Thanks - that'd be perfect!

• in Puck.js, Pixl.js and MDBT42

Any idea what changed? I thought you said you had it working?

Is it possible that it got pushed around in your bag and one of your solder joints came loose?

• in Projects

I think in this case the ellipse function is faster than polygon fill (at least than the one we'll have to implement soon)

• in Projects

Yes, totally - I actually just posted in another thread but I'm definitely up for pulling this in

• in News

Maybe you'd want to reopen this once the kickstarter rewards have been shipped out?

Yes, thanks! I'll do that.

I've been meaning to extend it officially but right now other things are taking priority :)

• in Bangle.js

Ahh, that's a shame. Glad it's worked out in the end though - I met the Pine64 folks at FOSDEM and they seemed like a really nice bunch, so I doubt any issues were intentional on their part.

• in Bangle.js

Does the display controller support and expose copy commands and have memory that can be written to but is not displayed

Yes - it's got a 240x320 buffer and that's what I use for 'doublebuffered' mode (although it requires going widescreen to 240x160), scrolling, and also when rendering notifications.

can the display controller be configured to use only a portion of its memory and scale it up to the full size of the display

Not as far as I know. The display is the ST7789 so if you can find any interesting hacks I'd love to hear them: https://www.rhydolabz.com/documents/33/S­T7789.pdf

Bangle.js provides a Bangle.lcdwr function for writing commands to the display, so it's actually possible to try out stuff yourself from Espruino when you have a Bangle.js :)

• in Bangle.js

Interesting - could be a rounding issue. I know as @allObjects mentioned circles aren't great either.

If anyone wants to have a go at improving fillPoly/fillEllipse then the code's here: https://github.com/espruino/Espruino/blo­b/master/libs/graphics/graphics.c#L441

You can easily build Espruino 'native' on Linux/Mac/Windows(via Linux subsystem for Windows) and can test using code like this: https://github.com/espruino/Espruino/blo­b/master/tests/test_graphics_ellipse.js

Or even just a bit of C code all on its own would be appreciated. I can merge it into Espruino as long as it works well (although if you're copying it rather than making your own it'll need to be compatible with MPLv2's license).

• in Bangle.js

Thanks!

I actually wrote something and forgot to post it yesterday, but this is how I feel on it:

I think the vast majority of folks trying to install Espruino on F18s are just excited and want to get started sooner, and that's great!

However I do need to focus my time on getting Bangle.js out to Kickstarter backers and those that preordered, so I'm not going to be able to provide masses of support.

Doing full wireless firmware updates is a bit of an elongated process which requires a bootloader to be dumped off the device via some very hacky means and then binary patched. You're looking at doing 4 different firmware uploads. If any of that goes wrong (which it may) you'll brick your watch and have to open it and use an SWD programmer. I'd be pretty certain that DT No.1 won't like having bits of their watches firmware posted online and I want to stay on their good side so I'd ask that nobody else does either in case they refuse to let me buy their watches.

If you want to compile your own firmware from source, open your watch, and flash via SWD as @sebi has done then that's awesome! Although if you're thinking of doing it, bear in mind that the cost of an nRF52DK and F18 watch may be more than the cost of just buying a Bangle.js so you'll be doing it for fun rather than to get a bargain :)

Please don't try and hide that it's a DIY Bangle.js if something is wrong though as it may actually make it more likely I can help to solve your problems, as has happened here.

Also, if you've opened up your watch and flashed firmware via SWD you're in a great position to do some development work on Bangle.js firmware, so it'd be a massive help if you felt like wading in and suggesting some tweaks/changes :)

Actions