Gordon

Member since Sep 2013 • Last active Jul 2020

Most recent activity

• in Bangle.js

As far as I can tell the display is 4 areas, but because of the limits of the touch chip they use, they are connected together into just 2 areas. I think the limit is probably because of a lack of IO on the microcontroller.

I think the actual controller is the Holtek BS83A02A - link to datasheet on https://www.espruino.com/Bangle.js+Techn­ical#hardware

Honestly, I'm not sure about what could be causing the accidental triggering - but as far as I can tell the touch controller automatically calibrates, so if the capacitance around it changes suddenly it might trigger.

• in Bangle.js

does there exist a way to fully turn it off?

No - as above stuff is physically connected to the power rails and the only way to disconnect it is with a wire cutter :)

• in Bangle.js

That's great! Thanks for posting it up! If anyone wants to try it out in the emulator you can click this link!

BTN1/BTN2 control the paddle.

Once the block destruction bit is done it'll be a really neat game to have in the app store - thanks!

I couldn't found a place in the Forums for "BangleJS projects" in progress

Yes, I'm afraid there isn't right now - I guess for the moment this Bangle.js forum is probably the right place. If there start to be a bunch of project posts I'm definitely up for creating a new forum though...

• in Bangle.js

Wow, thank you! I'll have to see about adding that to the Bangle.js technical page - thanks for the note about magnetometer/IO expander too - that makes a lot more sense :)

• in Bangle.js

I need to do a video on this, but I actually just got around to trying some different things with Piezos and the results are a bit disappointing.

However it seems that if you don't care about the heart rate sensor, you could poke out the little circle in the middle and glue the piezo over that, and it might actually be ok.

Soldering shouldn't be too bad as the pads are quite far away from other components, but you'll still need a proper soldering iron (not a gas powered one, or a massive one you use for stained glass :)

• in Bangle.js

Well, the string in fb is actually just a special variable type that references external flash memory. The flash memory isn't memory-mapped by the hardware so it's magically all handled in software.

However E.toString should fix that by converting it to a big flat string - assuming there's enough RAM.

To try and debug this, I'd:

• output the value returned by E.getAddressOf
    • maybe use trace(fb) and so on to see what the variable really is

But as far as I can see what you have there looks good

• in Bangle.js

The battery will drain when the watch is off I'm afraid - due to the design everything is still basically connected, it's just put into a low power mode.

Are you sure your firmware is all up to date (2v06)? I'm pretty sure the older 2v05 firmware didn't get everything into its lowest power consumption state.

• in Bangle.js

Uncaught Error: Unhandled promise rejection: Disconnected

Yes, what that means is the Bluetooth link got terminated while Espruino was waiting for something else to finish (getting characteristics/etc).

The disconnect is coming from a pretty low level in the Bluetooth stack, so I'm pretty confident it's not some bug in Espruino itself that causes the disconnect. I guess it's possible some setting could be tweaked to make the connection more error tolerant, but I'm afraid I am yet to find anything that it seems would help.

• in Bangle.js

That's great!

think of a way to check whether the transfer was successful.

I tend to add Bluetooth.println("OK") to the end of the line of text that's sent to the device - that way it'll print OK if the whole line was received and executed without causing an exception

Actions