Gordon

Member since Sep 2013 • Last active Dec 2020

Most recent activity

• in Other Boards

Yes - you just enable notifications for that characteristic on the PC and you get a callback whenever you call updateServices on the Ruuvitag

• in Bangle.js

Also if you're having trouble getting a lock it's worth installing AGPS via the app loader - it'll give the GPS receiver some hints that let it get a lock much more quickly.

• in Bangle.js

Speedo - mentioned above - would be a good start then: https://banglejs.com/apps/#speedo

It shows 'searching for GPS' in small text while it's waiting for a lock, but then some big numbers for speed when it has one, so it should be pretty obvious.

• in Bangle.js

I was wondering already if there was a way to run the IDE offline as well

Yes - actually even https://www.espruino.com/ide/ 'just works' - it's a progressive web app, so once you've viewed it once while online, you can still use it fine while offline too.

• in Bangle.js

Hi - yes, the GPS gets powered off during app changes. Right now to try and keep apps as reliable as possible (they can be of varying quality!) I try and reset everything back to the same state each time an app is loaded.

Strictly speaking the GPS is not actually powered off, there's just a pin that says it should be active or not - so the reacquisition time shouldn't be too long, but as you note there will be a small pause.

• in Puck.js, Pixl.js and MDBT42

Hi - is this with a Puck.js v1 or v2?

On the v1 the NFC coil ran a little too close to the aerial and that affected the performance in some directions. On the v2 the situation should be better, but I'm afraid it's still going to be directional as there's a big metal battery in there which will shield the radio transmission in some directions, and even ignoring that the aerial itself doesn't have a very even transmission pattern (image attached).

It's an unfortunate side-effect - the ceramic aerial gives you better signal strength vs a PCB one, but it's more peaky.

I'm afraid there's not really a fix, apart from to position the Puck such that the angles you are at relative to it are where the signal strength doesn't change too much.

Otherwise I do sell MDBT42Q modules with an antenna connector (https://shop.espruino.com/mdbt42q/mdbt42­q-breakout-ufl) and with the right antenna on them they'd be a lot less changeable based on direction

• in Other Boards

I've read that using 128 bit UUIDs to advertise could lead to some connection problems via Bluetooth. Could it be the cause of the problem?

Shouldn't on Espruino - 128 bit UUIDs go in a scan response packet so they don't interfere with the normal device.

• in Other Boards

Have you tried just reflashing using the firmware update mode (maybe to a Ruuvitag firmware) and then flashing back to Espruino? I'd have thought that should fix it.

The issue might be that on Espruino devices I the bootloader is smart enough to time out after around 5 seconds if the device is powered with the button held down. If RuuviTag's doesn't do that then the only way of booting into Espruino with the button held down may be trial and error - powering on while pressing BTN1 at exactly the right point.

Have you tried turning bluetooth off and on on your PC? GATT ERROR might be due to the computer itself getting confused.

However, do you confirm I have to use the Nordic UART Service to communicate with the laptop?

Actually you can attach a USB-TTL converter to D4 and D5 on the Ruuvitag, power it on, and communicate with it that way at 9600 baud.

• in Bangle.js

Thanks - I'll update the troubleshooting to mention that.

• in Other Boards

Also, what you're seeing above in the screenshot is because I guess you maybe put it into DFU mode when powering up?

If you power up normally you should be fine.

Actions