Fteacher

Member since Nov 2021 • Last active Apr 2024
  • 16 conversations
  • 189 comments

I'm an enthusiastic Free and open source software proponent. Not a coder though.
I do sports and plan to find ways to use the bangle.js 2 in running, maybe swimming (I know about water resistance, but there are ways around that).

Most recent activity

• 27 comments
  • in Bangle.js

I just tried the nRF Toolbox for bluetooth LE. I was able to get HR, but nothing else.
    On the other hand, I tried @Mi 's suggestion, and I was able to see all data out of it : HR, HRV and Acc (accelerometer). The app crashed several times, but I have recorded files. The ACC and ECG files are in .txt format as can be seen in the attached doc. The sampling rate, resolution and range (see screnshots) mean nothing to me :/. The Acc data look like it's taken every 0.04 seconds.

• in Bangle.js

Thanks @Mi. I'll check it.

• in Bangle.js

I have the Polar H10 ! It has an accelerometer ! It's not being used for running dynamics at all, by any watch !! I've checked Polar websites, Youtube and whatever, and Polar watches don't do running dynamics. I have a Garmin watch that uses Running dynamics, but it won't get the accelerometer data (or not compatible) from the H10, so nothing out of this accelerometer yet. It baffles me that this accelerometer is just sitting there for no purpose. I'm gonna try to do something with it while I have it, but in the future, I will sell the H10 to get a Garmin Run Chest strap.
    Did anyone try a Garmin chest strap with a Banglejs ? I didn't see it in the list of working devices with the bthrm app (even though it should, theoretically, work).

• in Bangle.js

Not gonna try to play with the watch on my foot, a Polar H10 is on its way \o/.

• in Bangle.js

@Mi

• That's a good suggestion to use the Garmin as a reference. I don't have the "compatible chest strap" yet. I'm going to hunt for a 2nd hand Polar H10, as it seems it's going to provide the needed data, but if someone has other suggestions, I'm all ears.
    • Most Garmin watches can be plugged with a cable (usb-c or else) and then accessed like a mounted drive. I grabbed .fit files from the Fenix5 and also from a forerunner 235, really easy, no cloud needed, no softwares to install.
  • in Bangle.js

Using a smartwatch dedicated to runners gave me the idea of building a set of apps that would work hand in hand to provide a "unified experience" for runners. I describe it, in case someone would be happy to work on it. I may try, but it may start only next year, and take 6 to 12 months before I get any kind of close to a result !

• The app would have a 1st time opening menu (later accessible in settings) and ask for max heart rate, or gender and date of birth (to approximate max hr) to calculate hr zones.
    • The run/run+ app could be revamped to offer more customization. Customizing "boxes" is great, adding the possibility to add customizable screens (accessible by swipes) would be awesome, with the possibility of including the "rep" app. And also have a screen for the "invisible running buddy" : set his pace, and during the run, there's a screen to display how much you're ahead or behind the set pace.
    • Also, the "a pace" (immediate pace) of the run app, is virtually useless in real condition. It would provide much more valuable information if it was averaged every 2 seconds to give the average pace over the last 3 seconds. In garmin it's rounded by lots of 5 seconds per kilometers (ie: 5:25/km, 5:30/km, 5:35/km). More precise than that during the run is too much. Still happy to get precise data, but after the race.
    • A gamification aspect of the runs. It should store some categories of records and things people would be happy to try to beat (can be creative here: best minimum hr for 5 kms, fastest km, fastest cadence over a duration of time,...).
    • An app to see running performances with different metrics.
      Might need much more time than 1 year...
  • in Bangle.js

A little update about all this. I bought a 2nd hand Garmin Fenix5, it's doing plenty of fancy stuff (which gave me app ideas), but not running dynamics. This only comes if using a compatible chest strap with an accelerometer. As a side note, the gps on the Garmin is a tiny bit more precise, but for 8 times the price of the Banglejs2...
    Anyway, I want to go on using the banglejs2 for running.
    I've found a github about the polar h10 which mentions : " H10 features available by the SDK : [...] Accelerometer data with sample rates of 25Hz, 50Hz, 100Hz and 200Hz and range of 2G, 4G and 8G. Axis specific acceleration data in mG.".
    So the H10 doesn't calculate on board, but it seems to broadcast the accelerometer's data (If I understand this right). I've asked the technical support of Garmin about their chest straps, but it's likely gonna be the same.
    So I will probably need guidance for the next steps, and patience, as I have virtually no time for this at the moment. Still, I'm gonna do a few 50 meters runs at different speeds in different terrains with the banglejs2 tightly attached to the laces of my shoe and record with the "Acceleration Logger" app, look at the data and see if I can make something out of it. The "simple algorithm" might be something way too abstract for me. We'll see.

• in Bangle.js

It may come with a higher delivery cost, but I had my Bj2 sent from GB (Espruino shop) to Australia (Kickstarter campaign). I've checked the website and Germany is in the destination country list https://www.espruino.com/Bangle.js2 , so it looks like you can still order it :). Also, there's a silicon protective cover in this online shop, you might be interested in if you bump it on a regular base.

• in Bangle.js

That's a shame, but I got lazy. Well, not exactly: it was too challenging for me, too many steps involved, without any clear view on how I would achieve most of these. So I went the lazy way: I bought a second hand Garmin. I won't use the Garmin app, I will just extract the .fit files from the watch and use them in Golden Cheetah, to keep privacy. I'll get all the data I want + quite a few perks (open water swims !). I'll still use the banglejs2 for most of my runs and for everydaylife. There's an after taste of renunciation :(.

Actions