fanoush

Member since Jul 2018 • Last active Mar 2019
  • 2 conversations
  • 55 comments

Most recent activity

• in Projects

still figuring out display memory layout (SSD1306, probably 64x32)

Took me some time to figure out and I didn't believe it. The resolution is 72x40 and the correct SSD1306 flip command is [0x21,28,99,0x22,1,6] so the visible memory is somewhere in the middle. After googling the resolution I finally believed 72x40 SSD1306 is a thing
    Espruino on DS-D9

• in Projects

Just to let you know that I managed to get also DS-D9 bracelet . This is the one I got firmware update for by mistake when I modified DS-D6 version/model number inside firmware and after update it worked inside DS-D6 except display layout. And indeed it is almost the same as DS-D6 internally, same pinout. Same espruino code works, flashed over serial without opening it, still figuring out display memory layout (SSD1306, probably 64x32). Too bad it is even harder to get than DS-D6. However I like its minimalistic design. Got black one. The seller is here but already raised price (I got it for 11.99) and went out of stock.

EDIT: from FCC's "Declaration Letter of Model Difference" it says that DS-D9 is identical to Lenovo HW02 (Plus). This one is sold in many places and indeed looks the same but the price is just insane for what is is (small OLED).

• in Other Boards

This thread is first google hit for "espruino fitness tracker" so I am just letting know here for anyone searching for it that there is now a nRF52832 based fitness tracker that works fine with Espruino. It is the DS-D6 mentioned in the espruino on you watch thread.

The procedure of update from original firmware to Espruino needs only using 3.3V TTL serial port connected to usb pins of DS-D6 and is relatively easy.
    More info here https://github.com/fanoush/ds-d6/

It is currently easy to buy it e.g. from Gearbest for $9.99, the manufacturer is Desay as also mentioned in FCC documents https://fccid.io/2AEMN-D6

However as it is sold for quite some time already (at least Gearbest has first user reviews for it starting Nov 2017) it may become obsolete any time soon.

I got few of them for personal use so I will maintain current Espruino builds for it for as long as practical.

• 5 comments
  • in General

If you think that could have anything added that cleared up the situation a bit then I'd be really interested to hear

Well after also reading the Saving page it is a bit more clear but still from all of this I did not get the idea that it is dangerous and definitely not what I wanted to use or that I should be extra careful before using it. The Summary in Saving page starts with

Just type save() on the left-hand side of the IDE and the current state of Espruino including all saved code will be written so that it is loaded at boot time.

and then hints that there are maybe better ways and then pros and cons are discussed but nothing that would warn me that this automatic save needs serious thinking when to call it in all but nontrivial cases. So I'd like to see some bigger warning there.

The API reference says

When Espruino powers on, it will resume from where it was when you typed save(). If you want code to be executed right after loading (for instance to initialise devices connected to Espruino), add an init event handler to E with E.on('init', function() { ... your_code ... });. This will then be automatically executed by Espruino every time it starts.

This does not explain potential issues. Also BTW is the on init function always guaranteed to run before e.g. my just restored setInterval will fire? Should I set E.on(init) before calling save() so it gets saved too? This may not be clear from those sentences.

I would add something like this to save() API reference

Please note that if you have watches and intervals already set at the time of save, they will continue to run after resume so use the on init method to restore hardware to expected state before they will run again. If you omit this it may lead to unexpected and possibly serious failures if your code does not handle such state properly. This method is targeted for simple use cases where it will 'just work' however it may not be the best for more complex scenarios. For more details and alternatives see page Saving. See dump() to understand what gets saved.

• in General

I think on balance it's better as-is.

Currently together with missing _option and the powersaving feature it is not possible to find out if serial is really initialized or not. So I may or may not save power (depending on whether serial was attached at boot time) but cannot figure it out later from code.

But yes, the solution to make it deterministic is to setup() it always again at boot time to have it enabled or setup() and immediately unsetup() to have it disabled.

• in General

I tried for the first time to call save() when my code in DS-D6 watch is somewhat usable but after saving, the console and my code stopped working. When connecting via Bluetooth I see ->Bluetooth on serial and I can also see switching back message when disconnecting bluetooth but I cannot enter any commands (both in serial and bluetooth console) and also my code (setWatch - touch button to show time) is not working anymore.

After power cycle it boots into console prompt but after few seconds it freezes.So I guess it is maybe some setWatch which is triggering something not initialized? I managed to type reset() quickly after another powercycle so it is OK now.

The answer in FAQ says that timers, watches, and even pin state is restored however it also says " For certain things (like initialising connected hardware like displays) you'll want to run some code when Espruino starts up".

This feature of restoring "timers, watches, and even pin state" seems a bit dangerous to me because even some pin state may make sense only with some prior hardware initialization.

Would it be useful or even doable for save() to just save code without any other state that runs code (timers,..)?

To me it means that I should be either extra careful in all my watches and timers to check for uninitialized or simply random state (which could be tricky with attached hardware with its own state) or better I should not start anything before running save() - just call reset(), load pure code without starting/initializing anything and then run save(). Also I see command history is saved too probably eating memory (as all my code is pasted there line by line), can this be cleared before running save?

Apart from the faq question there is also https://www.espruino.com/Reference#l__gl­obal_save with no hints or more details. Is there some other turorial or ducumentation related to this?

EDIT: BTW, the saving and loading itself went fine, when saving it compressed fine and did fit into memory so there was no issue with that.

EDIT2: Oh, found also this https://www.espruino.com/Saving with some Gotchas
    but still I don't understand why it stopped working imediatelly after calling save()

• in General

I believe the default idle state of Serial is High, not Low (you could check with a digitalRead?). So probably you want to setWatch on the falling edge?

Yes, idle TX is high and only when data is sent it goes low. However my idea was to detect when I attach serial adapter so RX on device input gets high signal from idle TX. That's why RX as GPIO input is "input_pulldown" and watch is on "rising". So Serial is initialized earlier before any data is sent. Also with this setup I can first put console to sleep (still by using the console) and then detach adapter and it does not get triggered on this falling edge.

When serial is disabled in this way while devices are still connected then it unfortunately triggers on first change from 0 to 1 so I miss the start bit of first character, yes.

BTW is missing _options when setup at boot time a bug? Should I make issue on github for this?

• in General

Confirming that Serial1 does not have _options when it is set as boot console but when later calling setup() it creates it.
    Also resuming console works when just attached to serial without sending any data. And when it went to sleep while attached and not removed, it resumes when any key is pressed (then first character is lost). Quick and dirty code

function resumeConsole(serial){serial.setup(38400­,{rx:D22,tx:D23});serial.setConsole();}
    function pauseConsole(serial){
    Bluetooth.setConsole(1);if(serial._optio­ns){serial.unsetup()};D22.mode("input_pu­lldown");
    setWatch(()=>{setTimeout(()=>{resumeCons­ole(serial)},300)},D22,{debounce:10,edge­:'rising'})
    }

After calling pauseConsole(Serial1) it goes to sleep and I can remove serial adapter and when later reattached, it resumes.

So last piece of puzzle is to figure out when console is idle for x minutes. Is there some timestamp of last console input? Otherwise I can at least periodically check whether serial is current console (process.env.CONSOLE) and if not then pause it.

Actions