• I recently read a README for Pooq Roman Clock and the README stated that widgets were not supported.
    There is a way to load the widgets but not have them display.

Bangle.loadWidgets();
    /*
     * we are not drawing the widgets as we are taking over the whole screen
     * so we will blank out the draw() functions of each widget
     */
    for (let wd of WIDGETS) {wd.draw=()=>{};}

• You don't even need to wipe the draw functions. I played with this in the emulator last week. I was entertaining the idea of clock/health stats taking full screen, then swipe for the widgets displayed in a grid.

• Yes, that looks like a good solution.

You don't even need to wipe the draw functions

That's not entirely true - many widgets will update themselves (lock, battery, etc) so even though you don't manually call draw, they will still update themselves

• Oh interesting. I guess I just didn't hit that when trying it out.

• Hm i got trouble with Layouts and this solution. There is still a black area if try to use Widgets. Any ideas?

• @Gordon - noticed you upgraded the solution to:

for (let wd of WIDGETS) {wd.draw=()=>{};wd.area="";}

This stops the top 24 pixels being cleared every now and again.
    I had noticed this sometimes on the Wave Clock and was going to ask you about it.

I have added this to my latest pull request for new clock Rebble.

• "Rebble" eh?! It seems that there are a large number of Pebblers over here these days. And after many, many successful PTS years, yesterday my current PTS decided its battery would only hold out for 24 hours, after having lasted nearly a week for the last couple of years. I guess the move over to Bangle was a good plan with unintended timing consequences - either that, or my PTS is dying because it feels abandoned!

• Actually I don't own a Pebble, but always thought they looked cool. At the time I looked into them, they were programmed in C and as a C programmer (in my distant past) I decided that C was not the right sort of environment for a hackable watch. Bangle and Javascript are perfect though. I've always loved interpretted languages and development envionments based on interpretters. I'm inspired by the story of the Pebble fan base who simply would not accept that Fitbit was going to kill it and decided to setup enough support for it to continue. My motives for building a couple of Pebble like watches is in the hope of acttracting more Pebble owners to maybe join and support the Bangle JS community. The more developers we have around the more it will accelerate the Bangle and its apps; plus I just wanted to see if I could produce some nice looking watches.

• Thanks for your support of my other issues, I really appreciate the help.
    Yep, the emergence of Rebble, who may well have a replacement iOS app soon, was a lifesaver to all the loyal Pebblers! Astonishing that the Pebble environment is still continuing this long after the whole thing came to a halt.
    Hopefully Bangle JS will prove a worthy successor, and if there are more Pebble-like watchfaces, then it would be easier to encourage Pebblers to join the Bangle community.

• OH man. I love that idea.

• Hey HughB,
    I am a former Pebbler and I've been trying to pull them over here too. More eyes = More awesomeness with this sweet watch. I've been waiting for a watch with at least this functionality since pebble shut down.

• I had my watch face on Pebble also, plus weather data that I can't bring in to Bangle because the required iOS connection is lacking. Some day…

• If you wanted to make it work for Android people, I know we'd love it. :)

• Post a reply
    • Bold
    • Italics
    • Link
    • List
    • code
    • Preview
About

Loading Widgets, even when writing a full screen clock

Posted by Avatar for HughB @HughB

Actions