[POLL]Scroll Swipe Direction

Posted on
  • https://strawpoll.com/GPgV6Lr74ga

I noticed there are some inconsistences with scroll. When you first install the watch the welcome app wants you to scroll non-inversely. I personally prefer inverted scroll because its more common on phones and feels like I am rotating a dial. Another example is the launcher which uses inverse scroll, and feels awesome, another example is the vertical scroll in settings menu for changing a setting value and it uses non-inverse scroll.

I recommend all scrolls try to use the same type of scroll for consistency, then an option can be required in settings to change it. Or hard-code what people prefer, using the poll above.

• I've thought about this from time to time as well. Personally, I generally prefer inverse (or natural which it's sometimes called) scrolling, but not in all situations. Volume rockers on stereos usually work non-inversely (finger goes up - volume goes up) and so I have that intuition around changing volume.

(In "Podcast Addict Remote" I have horizontal inverse scrolling for jumping inside the episode and vertical non-inverse scrolling to change the volume)

Since I'm not even consistent in this myself I haven't felt it to be too important - even if some preferred default might be nice it's also one more thing to both enforce (or decide not to) and for (often new) contributors to keep track of. So I'm ambivalent :p

• Generally for scrollers we use inverse scroll, so it feels like you're grabbing the page like you would on any touchscreen device. Everything that uses E.showScroller should do that.

Interesting that you mention the settings menu for changing a setting value. Is this really the same? I mean, you're changing a value rather than actually scrolling.

As @Ganblejs says I think it's like the volume - you want to drag up to increase and down to decrease. I think anything else there would be super confusing?

So really what we're saying here is just that you think the sideways swipe direction for the welcome screen is wrong? I think that's the only one that is different, and we could definitely change that...

• Interesting that you mention the settings menu for changing a setting value. Is this really the same? I mean, you're changing a value rather than actually scrolling.

As @Ganblejs says I think it's like the volume - you want to drag up to increase and down to decrease. I think anything else there would be super confusing?

I guess it depends on:

• if you imagine the scale being fixed around the volume rocker/knob/wheel and the indication mark move along on the rocker.
    • Or if you imagine it the other way around, with the indication mark being fixed and the scale moving along on the rocker.
  • I based my opinion on watching my fingers move. I kept trying to move it with the inverse technique, so clearly my muscle memory was expecting something different. I don't know if I am alone with that, but felt annoying that I had to re-teach myself or second-guess trial&error what to do.

• I kept trying to move it with the inverse technique, so clearly my muscle memory was expecting something different. I don't know if I am alone with that, but felt annoying that I had to re-teach myself or second-guess trial&error what to do.

I also had the same intuition for this as you do.

EDIT: I used to have HTC phones back in the day, and their alarm picker worked like this (at 37 s).

So I think that is where I developed this intuition.

iOS did it the other way around at one point (at 32 s).

• I think if you have a slider - for volume, brightness, or pretty much anything, you'd expect up/right to increase, and dragging it up/right to increase the value.

It would only be if you were showing a scrolling set up numbers (like in those videos above) that I guess you might expect it to be different, but I remember having an HTC phone and finding that method really annoying!

• nothing to see here... (duplicate)

• ...but I remember having an HTC phone and finding that method really annoying!

😆

• Post a reply
    • Bold
    • Italics
    • Link
    • List
    • code
    • Preview
About

[POLL]Scroll Swipe Direction

Posted by Avatar for d3nd3-o0 @d3nd3-o0

Actions