New Bangle.js not working as specified

Posted on
  • Just bought the bangle.js. there is no welcome screen. Buttons 2 and 3 do not do anything.
    Also cannot see bluetooth indicator on watch - thought it came with bluetooth - so I can't connect.
    The attached is the only screen I can see. (note no bluetooth)
    Is this a faulty watch?

2 Attachments

• Sun 2021.01.31

Hi @user124807,

re: (note no wifi)

Checking over the spcifications, WiFi isn't mentioned:

http://www.espruino.com/Bangle.js+Techni­cal

http://www.espruino.com/Bangle.js
    Nordic 64MHz nRF52832 ARM Cortex-M4 processor with Bluetooth LE

'so I can't connect'

Are you able to view the device using a phone or PC, within their list of discovered B.T. devices?
    e.g. Bangle is broadcasting, screen just isn't displaying

Reviewing:

http://www.espruino.com/Bangle.js+Gettin­g+Started

would you please repeat the powering on steps, following carefully starting with heading 'Powering off if completely broken', and report back at which steps do not agree. This will assist others and avoid unnecessary back-n-forth requests to confirm. Are you able to get to the settings menu with button 2?

ref image
    As a courteous time saver and to assist others, any chance to modify the above photo link such that an image renders? I had to go the extra steps of downloading, edit the filename, then adding a suitable suffix in order to view the image.

• Apologies, better image uploaded.
    Also meant (no bluetooth) not wifi.

No I am not able to view the device using a phone or PC, within their list of discovered B.T. devices?i.e Bangle is NOT broadcasting.

I have followed the Powering off if completely broken⇠
    Long-press BTN1 + BTN2 for about 6 seconds until the screen goes blank
    Keep pressing them while a progress bar of ==== goes across the screen
    The watch will start vibrating
    Release the 2 buttons
    Your watch may restart if it hasn’t been turned off since the last firmware update. If so, repeat the process again.

All steps and all steps agree. Though the watch did not restart i.e did not show the time only showed battery level and then after a couple of seconds showed a blank screen. Then I pressed Button 1 and the time appeared again.

I am NOT able to get to the setting menu with button 2. Buttons 2 and 3 do nothing.

• Hi - sorry about this. The picture you show looks as you'd expect a Bangle.js to after the welcome screen has been exited. At that point, BTN2 (the middle button) should show the launcher.

Where did you get the Bangle.js from, and did the package appear to have been previously opened (eg by customs?). It sure looks like it may have been used previously and had some settings changed.

So you say:

Long-press BTN1 + BTN2 ... All steps and all steps agree.

So you definitely got it to restart (showing the blocky white text and ====?)

At least that shows that BTN1 and BTN2 are working.

Please can you try the steps here: https://www.espruino.com/Bangle.js#reset­ting-without-loading-any-code

So as you did above, but while ==== goes across the screen, instead of releasing both buttons, release BTN2 and keep holding BTN1 until the screen changes and the watch shows the Bangle.js logo.

That'll bring it to a state where nothing is loaded and it should definitely be available by Bluetooth.

Now you should be able to connect with https://banglejs.com/apps/, go to About, and click Install Default Apps to get everything back to a 'factory' state.

• Hi Gordon,
    Thanks very much for your response.
    I ordered the watch from Adafruit Industries in the US and it definitely looks like it was not new and tampered with prior. Should I be concerned that the HW is not original? It arrived in 2 days so don't think customs opened it as the mail packaging was unopened. However inside the package, the black Bangle.js box was not sealed.

In any case I followed your instructions and now see the menus and am able to connect to bluetooth and upload apps.
    I am however not able to connect to my usual Mac via bluetooth (using another MAC though works), just wondering if there are particular versions of browsers this does not work with as I'm using chrome, and bluetooth does not find the device.

Thanks again.

• the black Bangle.js box was not sealed.

That's ok, you wouldn't expect it to be (we don't seal it). I guess it's possible that a Bangle was used, returned, and Adafruit gave it a quick check and sent it out again without returning it to factory. I'll drop them an email to see.

Glad you got connection sorted! What is the Mac you failed to connect with? I forget the exact date, but once you get over 5 years old, I'm not sure all Apple Macs had Bluetooth Low Energy in. I definitely have an old-style iMac here and I needed an external Bluetooth LE dongle for it.

• Thanks Gordon.
    Now I have an issue with charging.
    Thinking of returning it and ordering it from here. At least I know I'm getting a new piece.

• That's really odd though - usually Adafruit are pretty good.

Are you sure the charger is the right way around? I know it attaches both ways, but it only works one way. When it attaches, as long as the battery widget is showing, the watch should vibrate

• Yes it's the right way. I did charge it on arrival and now is seems problematic.
    see photo - it's been charging for a few hours but the green indicator is not moving.

1 Attachment

• bangle charging.jpeg
  • Do you think you could try with another USB power supply, just in case there's some problem with the current one you're using?

It seems to think it's charging, and usually within 2 hours it should be pretty much charged. It looks like it's getting some voltage, but not enough power to actually complete the charge.

It could be a broken charge cable - do you see any obvious signs of damage at the watch end of it? The way the watch came to you fully charged implies that the watch itself is at least capable of charging properly though.

• Be careful not to short charging cable, its magnetic and wants to attach to metal objects which conduct electricity. I always disconnect my cable from the mains after charging. Just a healthy tip.

• Post a reply
    • Bold
    • Italics
    • Link
    • List
    • code
    • Preview
About

New Bangle.js not working as specified

Posted by Avatar for user124807 @user124807

Actions