You are reading a single comment by @Fteacher and its replies. Click here to read the full conversation.
  • @HughB I do like to have my actual heart zones while I run. I can have it on the Garmin and that's nice. It's the third of the 3 things I miss on the bangle.js (the 2 others being reading at the end of the run my average HR and average speed, but I have good hope for these 2 to be integrated in not too long).
    It's difficult to know one's max HR, and yes, the usual formula is imprecise, to say the least. Zones are calculated depending on max HR, and come with different ways to be calculated bringing even more variations in the results. I do agree HughB, they're actually badly subjective. Still, beginners, top elite runners and trainers worlwide use this reference. "Run zones" in youtube shows the widespread of its use.
    I think it could be estimated from max HR or another calculation method and then leave the possibility for users to tweak it. I will do a bit of research on different calculations techniques and give feedbacks later, if deemed useful.
    If we use a different exhaustion metrics for runners, like Lactate Threshold or threshold training, we'll need to integrate some machine learning into it, which seems way more complicated.

At the moment I think simple heart rate upper / lower warning levels would be a simple way to do this on the fly at the moment.

Actually yes. But last time I tried it, the app didn't give me any vibrating feedback during the run and I just gave up using it. I'll try it again.

• the app didn't give me any vibrating >feedback

Apart from buzzing on first GPS fix, there is currently no alerting on exceeding a heart rate threshold. With the current HRM accuracy problem (heart rate reported goes lower the more you move) it would be pointless to add an alert at the current time, it just wouldn't work. And we can't report zones either until we can trust the heart rate reading. I know others are looking at how to fix the heartrate reporting, but it sounds a difficult problem to solve.

About

Avatar for Fteacher @Fteacher started