HughB

Member since Dec 2020 • Last active Sep 2021
  • 46 conversations
  • 300 comments

Been in IT for 40 years. Love interprative programming languages. Wrote my own small Emacs in 2000 lines of C (see Atto on Github).

Most recent activity

• in Bangle.js

Agree, ease of use, accessibility, consistency, then clarity and elegance.

• in Bangle.js

Does this make sense to you too?

Not for me.
    a) BTN3 is a reset and only largely used as many Apps dont provide a proper way to return to the launcher. Thats my interpretation.

b) a long press also means longer navigation to get out of the App. Instead of selecting Back using BTN1 all the way out of a deep sub menu and finally exit you would now have to go BT1, BT1, BT1, long press BT3, which is just as awkward as having to navigate to the last back menu item on the current settings app.

• in Bangle.js

Agree, think this comes down to a readable built in font of the right size.

• 4 comments
  • in Bangle.js

6x8 font scaled 1x2, but I'm not entirely sure it's an improvement.

There is a small improvement.
    The existing font height is 15.
    The 6x8:1x2 is 16, it looks heavier and hence easier to read, it results in 7 lines rather than 8.

Here are the 6x8:1x2 (top) and the existing (bottom) screen dumps.

Conclusion - some marginal improvement by switching to 6x8:1x2 - at low cost effort to implement.

• in Bangle.js

6x8 font scaled 1x2, but I'm not entirely sure it's an improvement.

6x8 :1x2 results in a font size of 16 high - so its still around the same size as the existing font.
    I think we need a font height of 20 to be readable (for me anyway).

I tried setFont('6x8:1x3') - the results looks ok in the screenshot not so readable on the wrist.

• in Bangle.js

@MaBe - I think what you mean is the spacing (black) between the line area (yellow) as in the screenshot below which is from an Apple Watch (BTW I don't have one, just grabbed a screenshot off a YouTube video). The advantage of what you suggest is that the text might still fit on the line. But if you are struggling to read the text in the first place there is no change to the font.

Personally if the selected option line is highlighted using contrasting colours I'd rather have a larger font than a dead region between lines.

The interesting thing about the Apple screenshot is that they have gone for 4 lines in the scrolling window for lists. The Apple watch settings works the same way, when you select the line you jump to its options list; though some have selector slider switches for on/off etc in the same line.

• in Bangle.js

'g.dump()' in the IDE and it'll give you a nice screenshot

Gave it a try, really good. Thank you for reminding me of this. I remember the announcement on a different thread but never checked it out. I remember you said it was a bit slow, but it did it in less than 1 second. Thats going to save a lot of time for me, when I do a README file.

I think Vector font, size 20 was significantly more readable.
    Could it be made to work with options 2 or 3 above ?

Actions