You are reading a single comment by @HughB and its replies. Click here to read the full conversation.
  • The UI approach I see in most sports watches is
    an App the lets you start / stop your activity and displays various measures as you go, eg pace, elapsed time, current heart rate. When you end it then switches to some form of Actvity data reader and views the information in the log. Its there that you would see how much time you have spent in different heart zones etc.

At the moment the time to read / analyse the log file can be quite long. Not sure if this will improve when the GIT js compiler comes along. Maybe at somepoint there is an argument for a binary recorder record format with fixed sized records that could be accessed on a random access basis.
    But until we have a HRM that works really well when moving it is probably not worth doing.

At the moment I think simple heart rate upper / lower warning levels would be a simple way to do this on the fly at the moment. Plus the range would then be set by the user and that would avoid debates over zones that in the end are different for everyone, depending on age, fitness. For example according to the traditional max heart rate formula (220-age) my max heart rate should be 161. However I hit 174bpm on Saturday when testing the recorder against my Amizfit Bip.

I don't think we are that far off from saying we want to freeze the feature set of RUN fairly soone to keep it simple.

• Ah, I confirm the HRM WORKOUT app that does the buzzing when upper or lower hr limit is reached doesn't work in the background.

About