• Hi,

Thanks - yes, I'd like to support the new firmware. Personally I think that unless they have changed something drastic, it should be possible to support both versions of the firmware from the same ESP8266 module - automatically (It could query the version at startup).

The problem for me at the moment is that there's no way to update the firmware of the module once it is attached to the Pico. Personally I see fixing that as a priority...

• Hi,

thanks for your answer and willingness to solve the problem.
    I guess it isn't problem to flash new firmware. I don't have your shim but luckily RST and GPIO0 aren't connected as I see on web pages.

We need only:
    a/ two wires, both connected to GND on one side and the other sides stay free... we will "poke at" the RST and GPIO0 pins on ESP8266 module later,
    b/ program to flash new firmware
    ... https://github.com/themadinventor/esptoo­l ,
    c/ USB-UART module (3V3 levels), connected to PC as /dev/ttyUSB0 and to USART1 on Pico,
    d/ Pico, connected to PC as /dev/ttyACM0, running Espruino WEB IDE,
    e/ ESP8266 is connected to USART2 on Pico,
    f/ this short programm in Espruino Pico

var baud=115200;

Serial1.setup(baud, { rx: B7, tx : B6 });
    Serial2.setup(baud, { rx: A3, tx : A2 });

console.log("Start flash ->");

Serial1.on('data',function(d) {Serial2.write(d);});
    Serial2.on('data',function(d) {Serial1.write(d);});

g/one wire mentioned in point a/ we hold on pin GPI0 and with second wire we tap RST pin ... ESP82666 is switched into programming mode (the wires can stay unconnected),
    h/ we start program in Pico,
    i/ we start esptool with this commnad... or some minimal modification

./esptool.py -p /dev/ttyUSB0 -b 115200 write_flash 0x00000 AT25-SDK112-512k.bin

j/ we will see messages of esptool

Connecting...
    Erasing flash...
    Writing at "address" 0x..... (..%)

Leaving...

k/ it is done... new firmware in ESP8266-01.

Tested and verified.

About

Avatar for Gordon @Gordon started