Member since Jan 2014 • Last active Mar 2018
  • 11 conversations
  • 82 comments

Most recent activity

• in News

1v96 (c) 2017 G.Williams

Oops.

• in Interfacing

(For my part, as the original author of the Espruino module, I can't say. It worked when I wrote it, but I've long since switched to using a BME280 sensor for combined pressure, temperature, humidity. I've been meaning to upgrade to the BME680 that also does VOC air quality measurements. Sorry I'm of no help.)

• in ESP32

EDIT: Problem fixed. Looks like feverish Reset button pushing while flashing actually got it to work. It's behaving itself now.
    Nothing to see here...!

Hi,

I've been trying to get an ST7735R LCD running on an Adafruit Feather HUZZAH32 (ESP32) board, which is a whole other conversation, but to verify the hardware I flashed Espruino v1.95 onto the board. It worked successfully with a few tweaks, but I don't think Espruino's going to be fast enough for what I'm trying to do, and I need to go back to compiled code.

Unfortunately, the Arduino IDE and esptool are both refusing point-blank to flash the board since I flashed it with Espruino. (It was working before)

Meanwhile, the Espruino console is happily responding through the Web IDE.

I've tried different power, slower baudrate, holding down reset, etc. No dice.

Is the Espruino-supplied bootloader not responding, or something like that?

Any ideas welcomed.

Arduino/hardware/espressif/esp32/tools/e­sptool \
        --chip esp32 \
        --port /dev/tty.SLAB_USBtoUART \
        --baud 921600 \
        --before default_reset \
        --after hard_reset \
        write_flash \
        -z \
        --flash_mode dio \
        --flash_freq 80m \
        --flash_size detect \
        0xe000 Arduino/hardware/espressif/esp32/tools/p­artitions/boot_app0.bin \
        0x1000 Arduino/hardware/espressif/esp32/tools/s­dk/bin/bootloader_dio_80m.bin \
        0x10000 ss7735r_test.ino.bin \
        0x8000 ss7735r_test.ino.partitions.bin

esptool.py v2.1
    Connecting........_
    Chip is ESP32D0WDQ6 (revision 1)
    Uploading stub...
    Running stub...
    Stub running...
    Changing baud rate to 921600
    Changed.
    Configuring flash size...
    Warning: Could not auto-detect Flash size (FlashID=0xffffff, SizeID=0xff), defaulting to 4MB
    Compressed 8192 bytes to 47...

A fatal error occurred: Timed out waiting for packet content

EDIT: Scrolling back through my terminal window, I found:

./esptool.py --port /dev/cu.SLAB_USBtoUART --baud 921600 flash_id       
    esptool.py v2.1
    Connecting........_
    Detecting chip type... ESP32
    Chip is ESP32D0WDQ6 (revision 1)
    Uploading stub...
    Running stub...
    Stub running...
    Changing baud rate to 921600
    Changed.
    Manufacturer: c8
    Device: 4016
    Detected flash size: 4MB
    Hard resetting...

When done now, it returns Manufacturer ff and Device ffff. No idea if that helps.

• in The Place for Patreon Patrons

There's an added aspect to UK pledgers: VAT. Patreon adds VAT to every pledge, whereas PayPal direct doesn't. That's been the case since before this change though.

To be honest I care less about the actual money as the underhanded and stupid way Patreon have done it. Rather than sending each individual customer an email (or link) saying "You currently pay this much and your creators get this much; now you will pay this much and your creators will get this much", they've tried to spin it as a tiny change that's good for everyone involved.

It's not clear yet but it's possible this is not just a shameless cash grab and is either something Patreon are forced to do or that there's a hidden subtlety that does actually make this better than it sounds. Even so, I don't reward companies that shoot themselves in the foot with opaque misleading communications.

I honestly don't understand why Patreon needs so many millions in VC funding, for example. Could such a system not be funded purely by equitable transparent fees -- or even with a crowdfunded operation themselves -- in a Community Interest Company / Social Benefit Corporation that limits shareholder return? Why does everything need to be in pursuit of maximum profit, rather than covering costs and making a modest profit?

Bah.

It looks like this is an ongoing developing story, so I'll wait until the dust settles before I pull the plug on Patreon. I have a feeling a competitor will rise as their logical alternative, the beneficiary of Patreon's hubris.

Hi @Gordon,

In response to Patreon's shameless cash grab, I'm going to close my account with them. Have you a preferred alternative platform for pledging support?

Tom

Yeah. The springy pin goes through a slot, then loops back and goes through-hole to solder on the other side. The kink in the pin just before it goes through the slot keeps the ESP32 board itself pulled against the base-board. It's 0.05" pitch as far as I can see, but obv. a different number of pins.

It's silk-screened to hell and back, so I can't see what the connections to the other gubbins on the board are, but some Stanley-knifing with extreme prejudice should work. Anyway, it wasn't expensive. I seem to remember mine came over on the slow boat from Shenzen, though.

@Gordon Have you seen this ESP-WROOM-32 (ESP32) programming board with spring contacts? I know the nRF52-based MDBT42Q is smaller, but I'm wondering if something similar could be made from one of these boards. I've found this one very easy to work with.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Fixture-ESP-WRO­OM-32-Module-Minimum-Development/dp/B071­3PR4RZ

(If you Google Image Search "ESP-WROOM-32 fixture" you'll see some better images. The ESP-WROOM-32 just clicks into place and stays there until you snap it out)

Looking at mine, I think you might be able to hack the contacts off one of these and onto your own board, with a Dremel, a tiny iron, some tweezers and a lot of patience.

Edit: or, come to think of it, if you don't need the short-edge contacts, you could probably just saw out the two rows of side contacts and move them closer together!

Actions