Questions about Open Street Map functionality

Posted on
  • I have not been able to find proper documentation on how the Open Street Maps app on the Bangle interacts/functions with Android map apps like OSMand and Google Maps. Hoping some can clarify how they function together if at all.

1. Does OSMand~ on F-droid have the same gadgetbridge compatibility as OSMand+ on the playstore? I can't seem to find any clear answers. Curious because I obviously want directions to be able to pop-up on my bangle. I've seen conflicting info on the internet.

2. If I have a gadgetbridge compatible maps app like OSMand+ and set a destination, then open OSM on my bangle. Will a waypoint be created on OSM on my bangle? I don't see any other way to add a waypoint on the bangle app.

3. When I have a compatible map app will OSM on the bangle show the pop-up directions so that I only need to look at the bangle to know when to turn as well as my location?

4. Do I need the compass app? I saw a YouTuber who made a video on tracking bike routes with the OSM app on the Bangle.JS 2 say you need the compass app but i don't see that in the OSM docs.

5. Is there a way for OSM to automatically pull up once you set a destination on ur phone? Similar to the music controls app?

6. How do others use OSM on their bangle? Or is it at all usable for directions on ur wrist?

7. Settings recommendations for the best experience?

• 4: I'm curious, do you have a link to the video? I don't see a reason that you 'need' the compass app. But as a casual sailor I say a compass generally often helps.
    In the button menu of the osm app you can switch the direction marker between GPS and compass, you can also reset the compass here for recalibration. That should cover most requirements of the compass app.

6: Mainly position + direction. It is also commonly used by the recorder app when plotting the course.

• Hi,

Does OSMand~ on F-droid have the same gadgetbridge compatibility as OSMand+ on the playstore?

I'm afraid I'm not sure. You'd have to ask Gadgetbridge developers.

If I have a gadgetbridge compatible maps app like OSMand+ and set a destination, then open OSM on my bangle. Will a waypoint be created on OSM on my bangle? I don't see any other way to add a waypoint on the bangle app.

No, it won't be added. The OSM app on Bangle.js and OpenStreetMap direction forwarding by Gadgetbridge are completely separate

• The OSM app allows you to preload OSM apps on the Bangle, to be displayed using your GPS location - it's totally independent of the phone
    • OpenStreetMap direction forwarding by Gadgetbridge forwards directions the same as from Google maps - they appear as a notification showing you just directions (but no map)

When I have a compatible map app will OSM on the bangle show the pop-up directions so that I only need to look at the bangle to know when to turn as well as my location?

The directions will pop up on the Bangle, yes - but not alongside the map.

Do I need the compass app? I saw a YouTuber who made a video on tracking bike routes with the OSM app on the Bangle.JS 2 say you need the compass app but i don't see that in the OSM docs.

Not unless you need a compass. The OSM app displays your direction as an arrow where you are.

You can install the compass widget (https://banglejs.com/apps/?id=widcom) so that even when directions are shown, you will still see a compass up the top of the screen.

Is there a way for OSM to automatically pull up once you set a destination on ur phone? Similar to the music controls app?

When navigation starts, the directions will pop up automatically (but that's not the OSM app with the Map)

How do others use OSM on their bangle? Or is it at all usable for directions on ur wrist?

I use the OSM app when walking, so I can see where I am on the route

But for directions, I tend to just use Google Maps on the phone which will then relay directions to the watch (once working, the OSMAnd app should work the same way)

• Here's the link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BtEdM2w1­VDM

It is from a year ago, so functionality has probably been updated since. Yes, I did see in the OSM settings you can choose from the direction of movement or compass. Just wanted some clarification from those who use the app. Thank you for the reply!

• Thank you so much for all of this great information @Gordon. As well as your fantastic presence and assistance on the forums in general! This clarified a lot for me.

• Thanks! I should add that it's definitely possible that someone could extend the OSM app on Bangle.js to display the map and the directions from the phone at the same time.

That would be really cool...

• Post a reply
    • Bold
    • Italics
    • Link
    • List
    • code
    • Preview
About

Questions about Open Street Map functionality

Posted by Avatar for maddogskullcap @maddogskullcap

Actions