• First guess: windows firewall blocks MQTT packet. Check windows firewall settings.
    0th point: your Espruino Wifi can connect to your Wifi, and for example can GET google.com?
    1st point: your Espruino Wifi can access your computer. Can it get the same html you can access with your browser? You try to connect to the right IP address? If your computer has multiple network cards, VPN set up, VM running on your macine, you might have multiple IP addresses.

Last time I used Fiddler, it didn't capture incoming traffic. Only outgoing traffic. So your MQTT traffic won't show up.

Do you have another computer or did you get phone / tablet that could be used to verify connectivity? For example Fing is pretty useful to scan your wifi, discover devices and find open ports:

• is your computer and Espruino Wifi present on the same Wifi network as expected?
    • does your computer have the IP address you think it has?
    • is port 1883 open on your PC?

Don't have anything, because that was before a couple of reinstalls, but ESP8266 could connect to mosquitto running on Win10. IIRC just followed the official guide because test.mosquitto.org was unreliable...

Yes, the PI is just a computer running Linux, nothing special. Just it's easier and cheaper to run 24/7/365 than your normal PC...

• Thank you @AkosLukacs - loads to absorb there, will be busy the rest of this evening!! ;-)

I see that you have been successful with WiFI <==> MQTT
    Have you any desire over BLE?
    @BobFrankston has made some strides here #21 post:

ble<=>ip

Solving this would be really cool for Bangle/widgets, as I'm sure Bob see's it that way too.

About