BobFrankston

Member since Jan 2019 • Last active Mar 2022
  • 5 conversations
  • 42 comments

Most recent activity

• in ESP8266

Oh -- I found Bangle.js 2 doesn't have WI-Fi so it's moot. I was thinking of other devices.

• in ESP8266

Alas, the chip does not support Wi-Fi.

I am curious as to why you consider it impractical on principle.

• in ESP8266

I'm jumping in without context. Given that the ESP chips have Wi-Fi but it isn't available on some devices. Does this mean I can compile a version for the Bangle.js 2 w/Wi-Fi? There's still a lot of static friction in my coming up to speed. For now I want to just understand what's possible and, perhaps, what's feasible.

• in Bangle.js

Alas, not much headway on the weather part until I get simple connectivity. Working on it.

• 22 comments
  • in General

Before I forget, this is a copy of the watch app https://1drv.ms/u/s!AglBpbKyzKIQj-VErqGW­fcFj_sjaKA?e=UGAOUY which is just the same date/time app plus the sample BT advertising code and some cleanup to use ES5 constructs. It's possible that the code itself has a problem though I tried to keep the Bluetooth portion intact.

• in General

I'm going to try to avoid spending too much time on this today but I figured I'd give it a try on my pi4a running 64 bit Ubuntu so I could use Visual Studio but it failed on bleno -- bindRaw "No such device".

I'm also pursuing my BLE (human) connections.

• in General

Where do I find the HID settings for Windows 10?

As to IP/BLE -- I'll continue to explore as a background project.

• in General

Yes, trying to use as little mechanism as I can to narrow things down. I did install gadgetbridge but, again, too much static friction so haven't connected to it.

I understand why you chose BLE in this case. Indeed, my goal is for IP (4 or 6 don't matter for this purpose) over BLE. I wanted to get some hands-on experience before taking it up with the Bluetooth SIG. This is a full topic in its own right and I write about such issues in my column.

Is the BLE radio in the Bangle very short range? I'm about 2 meters from the particular pi. Is that too far? To test I just replaced the battery in the puck and it shows up (-80 vs the pixel at -87)

It is paired with my PC but I presume there is a difference between connected/disconnected and if I disconnect from the browser it should become available.

IDE -- I sometimes get a connection hang on the PC too and futz (to use the technical term) till somehow it connects. This latest test I brought the BJS to the pi and it immediately adds itself to the list with the puck and pixel but failed to connect. And then, after a refresh, I get no ports found

Not sure how much time I'll have to experiment with this (though, alas, I find myself trying one more thing). I might reach out to the BLE world for a better understanding.

• in General

I've made progress but not there. I installed to flash and disconnected. I eventually got the Espruin hub running on my pi to see the BangleJS but only if I placed it near the pi. No such problems with my pixl. But I'm not seeing the advertising message (Hello World).

I do urge having a WiFi option in the future. It needn't use much power if it is off much of the time and used to send messages rather than listening all the time. And would have far fewer such issues. The limitations of BLE such as a single connection and the lack of preinstalled support is an issue. This is why I made sure Windows got TCP/IP preinstalled and with DHCP rather than forcing users to do it themselves.

In the interim, it would be great to have a use case of a serial stream to an IP address (via TCP) and/or UDP. If I had that then the rest becomes very easy.

As an FYI, I tried using the IDE on the pi it offered the BangleJS but never finished connecting.

Actions