Robin

Member since Jan 2017 • Last active May 2017
  • 7 conversations
  • 79 comments

Most recent activity

• in Pico / Wifi / Original Espruino

Mon 2017.05.15

"It'll be my first IoT board purchase, i'm new to all that."

It is good that you are asking the right questions and I'm sure you will be excited making the correct IoT choice. Supporting @Gordon with an Espruino brand IoT board purchase would be appreciated.

"and could operate on something for months on a 2000mAh cell"

You are correct @Thinkscape under certain conditions. I believe it was @Gordon that covered this in a post I am still trying to locate. I'll do my best to summarize until that link is found.

The idea is to run the device on a 1% duty cycle running at the 20ua drain 99% of the time. These devices consume around 50ma to wake up, 100ma at impulse for mild number crunching, 200ma during warp drive, and up to 500+ma using WiFi etc. The GPIO pins can source around 25ma but the total chip source is only around 100ma for all IO out meaning around five LEDs at 20ma each. As one can see, during excessive WiFi use, an external (wall-wort) power source is recommended to save on battery draw.

Still seeking that link,
    Robin

ESP8266 - NodeMCU - led and ds1820 temperature example

espruino.com/Wireless+Tempera­ture+Sensor

espruino.com/Tutorials

EDIT Mon 2017.05.15

Still searching for that post but did find the following:

@allObjects posted the chip GPIO data:

'maximum current from the espruino pins'
    http://forum.espruino.com/conversations/­280779/#comment12746768

See p.59:
    espruino.com/datasheets/STM32­F401xD.pdf

• Each GPIO pin can source or sink only 25ma
    • Total max all pins is 120ma

• in Electronics

Does this provide some insight:
    "Example code for the "Chirp" soil moisture sensor"

http://forum.espruino.com/conversations/­270246/#comment13634478

espruino.com/simple_data_logg­er

espruino.com/Tutorials

• in Puck.js

Does this post provide some insight http://forum.espruino.com/comments/13622­029/

Could you elaborate on how much of an 'exact distance' you are expecting to achieve?

Thank you @allObjects for clearing that up. I liked your concise explanation within the pp detail on battery differences.

Did you mean 100..2100ma to be 2.1A and not 1.2 as indicated?

I was surprised to learn that my PC had a USB3 port along with the USB2 ports. The 500ma value has a bit of latitude when on a USB3 port. 900 big ones!

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USB_3.0

"As with earlier versions of USB, USB 3.0 provides power at 5 volts nominal. The available current for low-power (one unit load) SuperSpeed devices is 150 mA, an increase from the 100 mA defined in USB 2.0. For high-power SuperSpeed devices, the limit is six unit loads or 900 mA (4.5 watts), almost twice USB 2.0's 500 mA"

For what it's worth, I've not had an issue, yet, . . . running WiFi over USB2/USB3, but I heed your warning. That said, I chose to power my little critters with an external supply, lest I suffer the wrath of extra electrons wanting to take an undesired path while I'm on a productive breadboard design streak.

Sun 2017.05.14

Hello @Thinkscape,

Although I have no experience with the WiFi version;

I'll agree with you the documentation could be improved with this bit of detail. Do you currently have the WiFI board, or are you considering a purchase?

Have you checked out these resources:
    espruino.com/WiFi

Note the section in red, just below 'Pins not on connectors'

So, it appears that 3.3v could be supplied to pin J2-3 , Gnd to J2-1 , rather than and instead of powering via the micro USB

See EDIT below

This would mean of course, tack soldering your JST connector choice to the top of the header pins.

Schmatic:
    github.com/espruino/EspruinoBoar­d/blob/master/WiFi/pdf/espruino_wifi_sch­.pdf

Note: The schematic shows both VBUS and VUSB All text documents refer to VUSB Not sure if this was intentional, or just to differentiate between power in via the connector VBUS and that used to supply circuits on the board itself VUSB.

This detail should suffice in the meantime until another with actual hands-on experience can assist here.

Robin

EDIT:

From the bullet list just below 'Pinout'

espruino.com/WiFi

"3.3 is a 3.3v output from the on-board Voltage regulator."

Although this pin is on the downside of the regulator, there isn't any reason schematically this couldn't be used as a supply pin. However, just now locating this comment, leaves me with a bit of doubt, as it is specified as an output pin. So, not sure if my suggestion to tack solder a connector here is prudent.

Maybe, J2-2 labeled VBUS (on schematic VUSB on diagram) could be used as long as the battery supply is above the voltage regulator input requirement.

"On-board 3.3v 250mA voltage regulator, accepts voltages from 3.5v to 5v"

• in Puck.js

Would this tutorial (with modification) solve the BLE in range detection?

espruino.com/Puck.js+Controll­ing+Other+Pucks

espruino.com/Tutorials

• in Puck.js

Thought that translate.google.com/ would help here:

Distance measurement and signal tone with puck.js

Hello,
    My name is Jonathan and unfortunately I hardly know with microcontroler. I need however one of the exactly the below mentioned requirements met, would not like an exact instructions or a finished product but just like to know which modules I could use around so ittusetzen. As a basic building block I have thought of a puck.js. Here, the design, the single button and the transmission via Bluetooth is already very much and thus unites many of my requirements.
    The distance measurement is the most worrying to me.

I also asked if you can estimate the signal strength of a Bluetooth signal to the approximate distance.

Conditions:
    Distance measurement on the other "similar" microcontrolers (maximum 3 m tolerance) maximum distance to be measured are 40 m
    -It must be possible to output a signal tone
    (A switch with I / O would be long, functions with "double-click" or "long hold" would be better)
    -programmable for grinding, timer Ect.
    Devices must communicate with each other on at least 50 m and exchange data, or control the other device. (Access to LED s or signal from the other device)
    -The battery / battery life must be longer than 3 days a 20h

How it works:

2 devices connect sorfort when they are within range and measure from about 40m constantly the distance to each other. When a push button is pressed on one of the two devices, a signal tone is heard on the other device when it is at a distance of 25 m from the other device. In addition, a 10 sec. Timer. If there is still 10 seconds below 25 m, there should be another signal tone. If the push button is not under 25 m, this is indicated by the LED s on the device that was pressed. It should go in all directions on both should the siganlton be sounded when the other is pressed.
    It is not a must but it would be nice if the whole then synonymous with 3 or more participants functions. For all devices within a radius of less than 30m, the signal tone is sounded or only at the next.

The price should not exceed 200 € per device.

Many thanks in advance
    Greeting Jonathan

• in Puck.js

Sat 2017.04.15

Although my experience is with the Pico, my guess is that any GPIO pin will work. The software function you are after is digitalRead() espruino.com/Reference#l__glo­bal_digitalRead

Use this tutorial to garner insight. Wire Loop Game

One wire to ground. The other through a 10K to the GPIO pin. Or rely on the internal pull-up.

• in ESP8266

Mon 2017.04.10

@user75617

Hi Spocki - I've read that - not sure of the relevance of it to the issues I've mentioned above.

and

So firstly - the terminal keeps throwing back "undefined"

After a quick review, I'm with @Spocki and @Ollie that everything is as it should be.

Ollie has pointed out the coding omission.

Spocki may have been referring to espruino.com/FAQ for the explanation of 'undefined' See heading: "When I type a command, why does Espruino print '=undefined'?"

9600 is the default when connecting over USB-TTL prior to flashing
    espruino.com/Troubleshooting­

115200 is the rate after initial flashing
    espruino.com/ESP8266_Flashing­

The WebIDE also has this statement under heading 'Baud Rate' within the settings option.
    WebIDE >> Settings >> Communications >> Baud Rate

Also - this - in the docs - is unrecognised. ESP8266.getFreeFlash()

Beneath Heading "ESP8266 Library" espruino.com/Reference#softw­are getFreeFlash()
    As Ollie points out, the missing inclusion.

At times I thought there were mysterious errors creeping in. I discovered that taking a bit of extra time to comprehend the reading material was all that it took. The above links should be re-visited.

Actions