Espruino Wifi not detected on USB

Posted on
  • Hello,
    I have received my brand new Espruino Wifi, and started testing it. In fact it is not recognised on the USB.
    Plugin it in the USB port of my linux box and issuing

lsusb

does show that the device is not detected. I have several USB cables which work with other devices, and I tested them without success. Same story on Windows 10.
    Another symptom is: when plugin the USB while pressing the button, the red and green LEDs turn on together but they don't pulse, they just stay on.
    I looked at the troubleshooting page, I conclude from this page that I should reflash (but it is not feasible through USB).
    Can you advice me how to make it working?
    Thanks a lot
    GeekBot

• Sorry you're having trouble with it. For these initial Espruino WiFi boards I have personally flashed and tested every single board before packing them up, so I can guarantee they're working.

And you've been using an Espruino Pico without issues, on the same computer?

If you run dmesg before and after plugging the board in, is anything displayed?

The Red + Green on together mean it's working, in bootloader mode, but can't connect to USB. That's classic USB cable problem - I have a whole bunch here that came with cheap chargers that don't have the data pins connected at all - they're power only.

Are you sure they work for USB data on other things, and don't just charge them? Perhaps try them in another USB port on your computer?

• Thank you Gordon, you are the king of the experts! I found that the cable was not connected as you suggested. Now it works.
    All my apologies for the noise...
    Best regards
    GeekBot

• personally flashed and tested every single board before packing

...that's what I call quality and sevice... another reason to save life time by buying @Gordon's original boards.

@Gordon, thank you for your commitment and service to your customers and clients...

• Great, glad you got it sorted!

It's actually one of the reasons I went to USB A for the Picos - it's awful how many bad cables there are out there! The Type A is Bulky, but at least you can plug it straight in to test if it's a broken cable or not.

It's just these initial 100 - as they came with the wrong firmware on them. Hopefully when I get going properly Seeed will do it.

• Thanks again., @allObjects, Yes Great product and great service.

• I'm eternally amazed at how many bad cables there are.

Particularly within my own apartment, since I would never buy such a thing. I'm pretty sure cables go stale over time - but I got a bunch of very recognizable ones now, so I'll know if these go bad, or whether there is just an unaccounted-for input stream of bogus, generic looking cables coming into my apartment.

I still haven't had a chance to light up my WiFis yet. Been busy getting ready for a part

• Post a reply
    • Bold
    • Italics
    • Link
    • List
    • code
    • Preview
About

Espruino Wifi not detected on USB

Posted by Avatar for GeekBot @GeekBot

Actions