allObjects

Member since Jul 2014 • Last active Oct 2021

Espruino makes IoT as easy as 123!

Most recent activity

• in Interfacing

user134932, is there some progress / success to report on your side regarding driving these displays with Espruino?

• in Bangle.js

I'd like to replace widgets that are overly large for the amount information they convey... and such one is the initial battery widget with charging indicator. I can understand that a smaller widget would have looked cheap because it was one of the first and few ones. Now more widgets are available and fight for the space.. A similar 'replace' need is the BT indicator widget: the BT logo is so 'slim lined' that on certain background colors it is barely recognizable.

• in Bangle.js

Nice, "dependencies": {....} slipped by while I had some low Espruino activity times.

• in Bangle.js

I like the partial and lazy update of a layout... what bothers me a bit is calling a value a label... I understand that it is historical, and atomic- with no composite display object, such as ro/rw field as in html - everything can be looked at as a label, the label of a field and the value of a field.

Since I cannot see any absolute placements, I assume the partial update walks the complete layout to determine where the update has to happen.

Regarding fonts: I understand that with vector fonts the font size is in percents of screen size and allows use in both bangles. What a bout the (much faster) WxH fonts? I assume the W and H are absolute. Is there a solution path for layouts using such fonts? The Bangle 1 / 2 ration is 1.363636., or 0.73333. Could something be baked in to the layout for these fonts that tells for which bangle the layout is originally specified, like dots per (square) screen? Line height (and positions) - vertical (horizontal?) on horizontal display could then still be calculated and a font mapping could figure what font to use. To handle font (as well as colors) I would always go for a palette. Handling the mapping of elements in a palette is always easier than do it for every layout element (label) definition. What are the thoughts for selecting a font (and color) from a palette in a layout element?

• in Bangle.js

@Gordon

You could potentially do something different: Have 2x 1bpp ArrayBuffer graphics, render to each, and then XOR them together.

I like that... that was the thought of how to update watch face in Bangle 1 with high frequency of events / the desire of (a) smooth sweeping hand (s). The issue is that keeping an. image in memory (buffer) all the time is a lot of memory. With a smart arrangement - diving the image up into quadrants (plus a few pixels for overlap) can cut the amount of working memory down to about a quarter (1/4, 25%).

• in Bangle.js

@TTbangler,

using emulator and also my own cross development environment in browser (as used to build the https://www.espruino.com/ui (w/ screenshots: Modular and extensible UI framework and ui elements.), I think I ran into similar issues: in the end it was overloading the Espruino interpreter buffer on upload. Upload means in practically all environments just transporting bytes to another device and storing them there. In Espruino context that is less than half the truth: code is executed on upload, and if stored directly in flash, the same happens when 'loading' (derivates of parts of) it into RAM for execution. Make sure that an 'atomic unit of code becomes not to big before the parser of the interpreter comes to a 'touch down' for execution and tackle the next thing. Im not sure if the emulator has the same constraints in regard of memory as the 'real hard wares' have.... after all, I can emulate not just Bangle things (more so in my emulator, where I emulate also devices connected to Espruino, such as displays, and pins, and...). So it is less the number of total lines but the lines that the parser has to go thru before being able to execute the parsed things and move on to the next thing.

• in JavaScript

...and they actually work... because a warm, living body and a whole community is behind Espruion, rarely seen such a galvanization of spirits. It is smaller than any other ...uino world, but it is a refreshing to step into world of justified uniqueness, where amazing things by amazing people of all walks of life get done.

• in JavaScript

@user135362, get your point... up to the term of 'arbitrarily'... - it's not like a newbee trowing darts at a (language element) tag cloud to determine gaps for fooling around with the user. I experience the decisions are well thought end-2-end. As much as I like to not have to be aware of exceptions, Espruino is so exceptional that the few exceptions do really not bother me. After all, it is a package and I get in its completeness so much that the few bread crumbs that (were made to) fell of my plate prevent me to get too fat... for sure not hungry (I like the @hungryforcodes user name!).

The ECMA spec is great and I applaud - and love - the care takers of especially version 6, Allen Wirfs-Brock, who, together with Rebecca blessed us with one of the most powerful but still - by every ones standard - easy to understand CRC method or technology for describing formally how things work in the real world and at the same time are solid and very suitable base for implementing software reflecting these workings.

As a great invention and contribution C is, was and still is, some of the community have moved on from the parens mess... but the majority of it the community - I'm part of that crowd - has a hard time for moving on to a more advanced (coder) life. If I could have even slightly influenced the choices Brendan Eich made when blessing us with JS, it would have been this: leave the C and paren family syntax for the way more advanced and readable Smalltalk syntax that does not overuse the parens, after all JS 'abandoned' many other 'good' things. In st, the parens have still great power and do what they do best: define precedence... in expressions. Even though I had a very hard time to get what the st-80 bunch tried to make understood, I felt it as a real progress after having toiled around with practically all 'languages and their dialects' common at that time. On the other hand, I'm sure - and hope -that Brendan Eich was making a very conscious decision about what syntax to pick... because after all, he could have ended up with another acceptable (G)ML/XML dialect, because already living in a great and successful one, such as the (X)HTML. Brendan Eich chose his battles wisely to introduce successfully the 'new' he wanted, and compromise on something not worth to die for.

Regarding (X)HTML: Unfortunately - or fortunately? - the X had no chance, since too much content had been created and it would be foolish to ignore it and lose the wealth I presents to these days (that's why I consider the browsers to be of the most complex and powerful SW pieces in existence.

Expecting and enabling meaningful backwards compatibility is useful: What would you say if you all printed matter would be declared as not be readable anymore. CDs - even the black vinyls - not playable anymore, paintings of the Sistine Chapel not viewable anymore and the building itself not visitable anymore, and on an on,... just because we are about to master comprehensive digitalization incl. virtual reality (and to express it seasonal: live a life of 'zoom')?

That would be really sad and make the world an even more depraved place that it already is.

Therefore I still like to read C and related but also enjoy the things that came after it and the things after those, and on and on.

• in Bangle.js

..."\o"... I know where that leads to: quite elaborate figuring what the context / object is - to properly deal with the variations of the options information.

• in JavaScript

...oh boy... or girl... or ??? I don't know what to say here. I guess - since I do not have to say something, I just let it be, or go, or be gone.

Still, it gets me thinking, and - @user135362 - I'm thankful for getting me going. (Same 'last' word, but no contradiction though, see Parser errors in arrow functions (2v10.90 Bangle emulator).)

Actions