DrAzzy

Member since Feb 2014 • Last active Dec 2018

I'm Spence Konde aka Dr. Azzy

I live and work in the People's Republic of Cambridge, near Boston, MA. I test the web gateway and web development framework for a database software firm for my day job, and sell PCBs and do electronics stuff on the side. I also own pinball machines, with all the maintenance that entails, and have made modifications to them as well.

In addition to Espruino, I do a lot of work with the Arduino platform and maintain a core that supports almost all ATTiny microcontrollers for the Arduino IDE.

I'm not a real doctor (I'd be happy to write you a prescription - but it'll be on the back of a cocktail napkin, and it'll be for a cocktail);

In a past life when I played Ragnarok Online, I wrote the AzzyAI homunculus and mercenary AI, which was used by thousands of players worldwide (ie, I'm that Azzy)

Most recent activity

• in ESP32

Couple of things - pulse reset low after power on but before trying to communicate with it. Depending on the power up sequence, it can go into a low power shutdown mode in which it doesn't respond to UART on startup.

Make sure you have TX and RX wired correctly. TX of one device goes to RX of the other device.

• in Projects

McMaster Carr (mcmaster.com) might have something that will do the trick?

They're the digikey of mechanical stuff.

• in Projects

So what if all the good stuff is SMD? These boards have SOIC and (T)SSOP outline, and stack with my 2x4 SMD protoboards for even more part options! Someone needs to drill into people's heads that SMD soldering really isn't hard! I'd pick soldering a SOIC package over a DIP one any day, even working by hand... but most hobbyists act like SMD soldering is kryptonite.

• in Projects

Heh - well Gordon, there's your answer about demand for protoboard-integrated development boards. Can't even give the damned things away.

People are weird , they just don't recognize value nowadays.

• in General

Fritzing is an abomination, and it promotes unclear and misleading forum posts because people inevitably substitute parts, and then post diagrams that show one thing, with footnotes like "That regulator is actually a transistor, and that battery is actually a power supply". Noobs love it over at Arduino forums, but all the people answering the questions detest it - a hand-drawn schematic, photographed with a cellphone, is more effective for communicating a circuit than that awful, no-longer-supported piece of crap.

• in General

While the interpreter is idle, it checks for intervals, timeouts, and other events, and runs the associated handlers. After such a callback returns, interpreter is back in idle state (until the next callback fires).

So, if you have something slow-ish, that will block callbacks from firing until it's done. The Espruino will queue up callbacks during this time, but that may not be good enough, depending on your application.

This really points to a fundamental difference between what Arduino and Espruino are good at. Espruino makes it so easy to interact with the world via http/etc, write civilized, modern code in a forgiving language, gives you a live interpreter, and generally incredible ease of coding. Anything where you are doing a lot with strings is way easier. But the price of that is that it's pretty slow - there are plenty of things I can do on an 8mhz AVR that the 72mhz stm32 or 160mhz ESP8266 running Espruino just isn't fast enough for, and similarly, things where sub-second timing is critical are often troublesome. I have a few applications where I use an Espruino for the stuff that handles strings, talks to the world, and so on, talking to an AVR dedicated to the timing critical stuff (in my case, dealing with 433mhz OOK RF) over serial.....

For more detailed assessment, post the code you're observing this with and what board (and espruino version) you're using it on, and an example of what it's receiving over serial (the content of the string could be relevant); I find it hard to belive that what you've described would end up messing the timing up by hundreds of ms - but who knows what you're doing when processing the received string, or how your serial handler is written, and so on...

• in Projects

Anyone want some of the Rev. - boards, unpopulated? I've got six (6) boards kicking around that I don't need now that I've got the Rev. A in stock.

Main issue is that the ESP-01M slot is too wide, making it really hard to solder. No electrical issues.

• in ESP32

You could upload the code, save() it, and then read it out (using esptool), and distribute that file, couldn't you?

Actions