DrAzzy

Member since Feb 2014 • Last active Aug 2018

I'm Spence Konde aka Dr. Azzy

I live and work in the People's Republic of Cambridge, near Boston, MA. I test the web gateway and web development framework for a database software firm for my day job, and sell PCBs and do electronics stuff on the side. I also own pinball machines, with all the maintenance that entails, and have made modifications to them as well.

In addition to Espruino, I do a lot of work with the Arduino platform and maintain a core that supports almost all ATTiny microcontrollers for the Arduino IDE.

I'm not a real doctor (I'd be happy to write you a prescription - but it'll be on the back of a cocktail napkin, and it'll be for a cocktail);

In a past life when I played Ragnarok Online, I wrote the AzzyAI homunculus and mercenary AI, which was used by thousands of players worldwide (ie, I'm that Azzy)

Most recent activity

• in ESP8266

The "undefined" looks normal, as you're printing to the console the result of wifi.ping() which doesn't return anything.

The memory hemorrhage, though... 85 jsvars per iteration!

• in ESP8266

Is the HC-SR04 code even known working on ESP8266? Because of how it has to keep yielding to do the radio stuff, timing-critical things can be problematic....

• in ESP8266

You would need to involve an external server that sees what IP is sending the request and echos it back - the devices behind a router do not know what their external IP address is (be they computers, embedded devices, or whatever).

• in Other Boards

@Gordon - it might make sense to put a note of that in the IDE settings screen "9600 is used by all boards except ESP8266 and ESP32, which use 115200"

I find the switch annoying enough that I never connect to ESP8266 and ESP32 by the IDE - I just go in with hterm, set up the wifi, then connect by telnet.

• 33 comments
  • in Interfacing

While a little unpleasant due to the size of the parts, since all the parts you need to add are two terminal devices, it definitely can be done with an iron. Honestly, for two terminal parts, even small ones, I find soldering iron to be easier than hot-air. I only use air for large or no-lead parts.

You put a bit of solder onto one pad for each part, hold in place with tweezers, and melt the solder on that side to solder that end, then go back and solder the other end. Might not even need additional flux.

• in ESP8266

It definitely should work. ESP8266 is an ESP8266, regardless of what PCB it's mounted on

Do you get successful results with other ESP8266 boards?

• in ESP32

I think updating the version in Espruino would be a good idea, as there have been a bunch of bugfixes since then including a bunch of security fixes....

• in Porting to new Devices

Hmm, cool module. Maybe I should start selling a breakout board for the RAK813 modules like I do for RN2483?

Actions