Plans for a more powerful Espruino?

Posted on
  • Out of curiousity, are there plans for a more powerful Espruino? An Espruino with massive amounts of ram that will allow memory hungry js scripts to run with out getting the out of memory error? And has a faster processor?

For an example, 400 MHz 32-bit ARM 9?

• Not at the moment I'm afraid. Espruino will already run on basically anything that will run Linux (so will be great on all those OpenWRT modules), but it is designed for devices with very little ram. When you have enough RAM it starts to make more sense to use a desktop VM, and then you might just use a Raspberry Pi.

I think right now Espruino really has something to offer when running on small, affordable CPUs. ST has launched a new $1 chip that could run Espruino, and I'm far more interested in that than in adding a bit more RAM or clock speed.

I think if you can't fit your code in 96kB it's not that likely you'll fit it in 192kb either. Having to spend a bit of time slimming your code down, but then being able to have them all over your house? That would be cool :)

• I've thought "oh wouldn't it be cool to make an Espruino with one of the 100-pin or 144 pin chips", to get more I/O (an Espruino Ventii?). The 407 looked good for that, and has 192k RAM (and is that on-chip wired ethernet?!). Like the F401 in the Pico, I think that's a reasonable ratio of pins to ram. It could be the Espruino answer to the Arduino Mega... but as you get more pins, the potential pool of projects that need that many pins (and hence the number of potential customers) shrinks.

I think if you need 400mhz processor, though, you're really looking at a job that's more appropriate to run on an RPi...

• Ya, I thought as much. Espruino is awesome where it's at with performance. Allowing me to place them all over my house once I receive the picos :-)

I'm working on a project that uses a G400-S(GHI Electronics) that uses the arm processor that I mentioned earlier. I can program in C# when using their products. C# and Javascript are my two favorite languages.

Anyways, I thought hrmmm using arm 9 would be awesome with espruino on it :)

• I think a relatively easy "half-measure" on the more-powerful-espruino front would be selling Espruino Boards with the F-spec part instead of C-spec (so 96kb SRAM), and if need be, bump the price a few quid. That would make the Espruino Board hold it's own next to the Pico.

To be clear, the memory situation on Espruino has gotten much better from when I started on it though, no question about that. Bigram, "epic jsvar refactor", and packed array change have all made great contributions to memory efficiency. The flat strings are again improving memory use, though the real contribution won't be felt until it covers modules and functions in root scope.

ST has launched a new $1 chip that could run Espruino, and I'm far more interested in that than in adding a bit more RAM or clock speed.

The STM32F030RC? Well, it's only got 256k of flash, and 32k sram, that'll be kinda ti.... did you say $1? Isn't that like, cost competitive with an Atmega328? That's an Arduino (among other things) killer right there... (Edit - aww) It doesn't support USB though, and the line that does only goes up to 16k ram, which isn't enough to do anything with. CH340G's are cheap though, I guess.

• F030RC + esp8266 ? I feel it's right direction.

• Yes, I'm still very tempted by another batch of F or G-spec 'classic' Espruino Boards, which would definitely give the board a bit more life. Having said that there's still a lot of scope for making the most out of the current chips (for instance you could store 'read only' data in flash, and only variables in RAM - effectively doubling the capacity).

32k on the F030 is a bit on the small side, but you can do a lot with it. It won't be good for everything, but for wireless sensing/control it's probably perfect.

F030RC + esp8266 is an interesting idea. It looks like you may be able to get Espruino on the esp8266 itself - but it'd be pretty cut-down, and I think the realtime aspect would go out the window (which was part of the point of Espruino).

I still think that F030RC + a low power radio combination would be pretty awesome, but then there's always the problem of certification. To be useful for anything other than hobby it'd need CE testing, and my understanding is that CE testing on radio stuff is quite painful.

• Post a reply
    • Bold
    • Italics
    • Link
    • List
    • code
    • Preview
About

Plans for a more powerful Espruino?

Posted by Avatar for d0773d @d0773d

Actions