Hardware_Hacks

Member since Feb 2014 • Last active Jan 2020
  • 7 conversations
  • 63 comments

@Hardware_Hacks - http://c-mobberley.com/wordpress/ - adafruit learning publisher

Most recent activity

• in Interfacing

Those extra characters you are seeing seem very similar to the issues I had when I was using GSM modules. The root cause was power. The board needed 5v and also the correct current spikes which I think went up to about 1.4A, ensure your power supply can support this high spike otherwise you will keep getting these messed up chars. Once the power works correctly you often find all the old commands will run through the module also as if they are blocked up so always good to disconnect everything for a few seconds.

• in Interfacing

Thanks! I will check that command over as see if it returns what I need.

• in Interfacing

Hi all

As part of my car tracker project I'm using a 6000mAh lipo via the jst connector. I have a rough projected lifetime before requiring a recharge but I think it would be more useful to send the battery voltage as part of my GPS coordinate SMS.

Is there any way I can read the voltage of the battery via the jst?

• in General

Did you find the issue with this in the end? I'm noticing similar issues with my set interval on my gsm GPS tracker. I sleep for 1 hour then wake and send coordinates. This seems to fire inconsistently and even when running lower intervals e.g. 30 mins. However 5 mi utes seems to be fine

• 7 comments
  • in Electronics

@Gordon the gsm2 click supports 3.3v io but still requires a 5v line in. This has been brought up a number of times on their forum as their marketing seemed to suggest it would only need the 3.3v in.

@DrAzzy I'm fitting the whole project into a black vox which is 7*4*3 inches. There is probably about 4*2*2 inches left after adding all my other components in. Weight is no issue within reason.

• in Electronics

Hi All,

I'm looking to move away from my power bank (via usb) and get a battery that utilises the battery socket on my Espruino. I'd like to keep the power bank for my other prototyping so it's time to hunt down a different power source.

I'd like some help on picking out a battery and a suitable charging unit. My project currently requires me to supply 5V with peaks of 2A to power a GSM board as well as GPS & the Espruino.

My power bank is a 10,000 mAh and supplied 5V/2A I don't mind dropping down to around 6000mAh but anything above and closer to the 10k would be excellent.

Any recommendations? I noticed li-po are mostly at 3.7v so I would need a booster to get the 5v but no ideas on what combinations will work best. I'm currently having a read through the adafruit website.

• in Projects

I've always gone for MQTT/WS and JQuery Mobile as a few have mentioned. I'll take a look at some of the libraries posted though.

Actions