clkinfocal - change it or new clkinfo

Posted on
  • In clockinfocal - I find the day number in the image is unreadable. The font is too small to read even with my prescription glasses that are meant to give me 20/20 vision.

So I did a small mod to show the day number which I really like. Screenshot below.

Question is - should I edit the existing app OR should I produce a new clkinfocal+ that could be extended with a settings menu to show different date formats and date parts in the text that is shown. Dont want to upset the applecart as some of these apps needs to be lean.

I guess this is a question for @Gordon but interested in what others think.

1 Attachment

• download.png
  • You mean it would have been the same picture, but it showed just MON rather than MON 30?

I think it'd probably need to be some option - for example in the pebble++ clock (https://banglejs.com/apps/?id=pebblepp) I use, the image is shown at double-size, and I think adding the number after the day would probably force the font to auto-adjust to be smaller, then making the day less readable.

Just a thought, but in the clock you're using there, is there a reason the image couldn't be rendered double-size too? It might make sense.

But personally I'd add it as an option to clkinfocal - at least it's already a separate app so adding a settings page isn't the end of the world, and you could make sure you only read the settings file once at startup.

• My version shows MON 30 for the text instead of MON. The image would not be changed. To me it just looks like an icon anyway.

is there a reason the image couldn't be rendered double-size too?

Well I could write code that said if its the clkinfocal then double the size but leave everything else the same. But there is no way I could double render something like clkinfogps as it would be too large for the screen with the length of the text that has to be displayed.

I'll see if I can do mod with settings then.

• PR pending review.

• But there is no way I could double render something like clkinfogps as it would be too large for the screen with the length of the text that has to be displayed.

I meant just the image, not the text. The image is always 24x24px so if there was space for it to be bigger for one clockinfo, there would always be space.

• I'm not sure, clkinfogps is very tight on space.
    I keep the text is readable to me, so use size 20 LatoFont.

Doubling the image size would probably mean I would have to take the spaces in the Grid reference which would make it much harder to read.

1 Attachment

• screenshot1.png
  • Post a reply
    • Bold
    • Italics
    • Link
    • List
    • code
    • Preview
About

clkinfocal - change it or new clkinfo

Posted by Avatar for HughB @HughB