You are reading a single comment by @charlie and its replies. Click here to read the full conversation.
  • I'm on holiday at the moment so I don't have much time to read into your questions fully and answer in detail, but it feels like others have done quite a good job.

I just want to add that Bangle.js is very intentionally designed to keep things simple, to cram as much as possible into what is quite a constrained device. We add features and APIs that allow you to do new things, but don't generally spend time on adding features that you could have just implemented in JS.

there shouldn't be any difference in RAM usage

Even if you know for certain this is the case on Node.js on desktop with gigabytes of RAM, it may not work that way on Bangle.js - or 'not a big difference' on desktop (eg 200kB extra memory) may translate to quite a big issue on Bangle.js with more limited resources.

Some of the differences with a desktop JS engine are documented here but honestly the best bet is to have a play, do some benchmarking, and figure out whether things really can really be improved by doing things a different way.

• I'm on holiday at the moment so I don't have much time to read into your questions fully and answer in detail, but it feels like others have done quite a good job.

They have, you have a great community.

I just want to add that Bangle.js is very intentionally designed to
    keep things simple, to cram as much as possible into what is quite a
    constrained device.

I think you have done an amazing job and anything which opens up programming to a wider audience is great.

Some of the differences with a desktop JS engine are documented here
    but honestly the best bet is to have a play, do some benchmarking, and
    figure out whether things really can really be improved by doing
    things a different way.

Yeh I am surprised assoc arrays are implemented via linked lists and not hashmaps. I have a few performance questions, but maybe best in a private message or separate thread...and like you said if I play about with it and do some benchmarking I will have better idea.

About

Avatar for charlie @charlie started