Turn off the display after a while

Posted on
  • Hello everyone. I apologize if this is a common question, but I can’t seem to find a solution. Is there a way to completely turn off the display on the Bangle.js 2 after some time, until I use the watch again? I don’t mean just dimming it, but turning it off :)

While i can do it on the Bangle.js, I cannot on the Bangle.js 2

Thank you for your patience.

• Hi!

What's the reason for you wanting this? The screen of B2 is designed to be always on - it's called a 'transflective display' sometimes.

You could make a clock face or bootloader app that paints the screen black whenever it times out. I don't know if there already is one.

• If the screen isn't changing, the power consumption is basically null, as if it was off. You won't save battery by blanking it out.

• It might be because its a "Memory In Pixel" type display. I assume this means that it retains the last pixels like an always on type of thing. A simple Bangle.on('lcdPower', function(on) { if (!on)g.clear() }); should do the job. Can save it as a lcdoff.boot.js file, then delete it if you don't like.

• If the motivation is saving power this won't do much. AFAIK the display is still refreshed at about once a second. If no code is loaded the Bangle 2 runs for a really long time. I tried to record a discharge curve and lost about 20% of battery in 4 weeks before giving up. Maybe a 0 brightness setting would be more useful for very low power use.

• Thanks a lot for all your replies guys :)

• Hi - you can set a timer for turning the LCD off with:

Bangle.setOptions({lcdPowerTimeout:10000­}); // ms - so 10000 = 10 sec

And you can paste that into the Custom Boot Code app to get it to apply for you.

But as others have said, turning the LCD off makes basically zero difference to power consumption (about 1%), so really you'd only be doing it for privacy

• Post a reply
    • Bold
    • Italics
    • Link
    • List
    • code
    • Preview
About

Turn off the display after a while

Posted by Avatar for fparri @fparri

Actions