• Just from a visual perspective, the Bangle 1 encasing looked a bit more ruggedised than the Bangle 2, other than the IP rating being dropped from 68 > 67, is there any other factors that would suggest that the Bangle 2 wouldn't necessarily withstand the same physical wear and tear the Bangle 1 would?

For example, how tough are parts like the screen / casing / straps? And how do they compare to the Bangle 1, and to other industry standard devices like the Apple watch / Fitbit etc?

• Well, in some respects I think the Bangle.js 2 might be bit better:

• The button doesn't stick out so is less likely to get caught on clothing
    • The watch itself is smaller so again less likely to get smashed on stuff
    • There are less moving parts

However there is no surround on the screen glass so it will be more susceptible to scratches, but we do now sell a 'bumper' which helps with that: https://shop.espruino.com/banglejs2-coveĀ­r

I can't really comment on how tough the case is relative to other devices. It's not going to be as strong as watches with a metal body, but it's not bad. The watch strap isn't amazing, but if it breaks it's a 100% standard 20mm strap so costs just a few dollars to replace.

The IP rating is a shame, but it's because of the pressure sensor (which does have a membrane, it's just the membrane can't handle a lot of pressure). It's trivial to bung up the hole with some glue to make things a lot better though, it just makes the pressure sensor useless.

• Thanks Gordon, the use-case I'm thinking about is the watch not being handled with care (e.g. being chucked around). So was just wondering how much of a beating the screen / carcass could take before it would become compromised.

I wasn't aware of the cover so that would definitely help with regards to shock absorption! :)

• I noticed that many people have problems with the button and contact corrosion on the Bangle 2. Probably, relative to all users, these cases are not so many, but the first version of the Bangle did not have such problems, right?

I also want to say that the buttons on the BJS1 do not interfere with clothes (did anyone have problems with this?), But the shape of the buttons itself is unusual, in some cases, when pressed for a long time, it can be a little unpleasant for the finger, since the buttons have sharp edges, but there are no big problems with that.

• @jamesh Bangle.js_1 feels very durable, but the downside is that it is quite massive and the strap is not standard, but default strap also durable and reliable. Watches are not afraid to lie down anywhere and anyhow. I hit mine BJS1 several times, but there is no damage, I have been wearing them for more than a year, watches look almost like new. I also really like that they are easy to disassemble and change the case if the damage to the watch will be critical. For extreme conditions, BJS1 seems to be more suitable.

But technically the BJS2 is much better: AOD, full touchscreen, etc.

• @Serj thanks for your detailed reply, it's definitely good to hear first-hand experience from someone who's worn it day to day.

I noticed that many people have problems with the button and contact corrosion on the Bangle 2. Probably, relative to all users, these cases are not so many, but the first version of the Bangle did not have such problems, right?

Yeah that's a well documented issue with the B2. It wasn't an issue on the B1 because the SWD pins weren't exposed, you had to open it up to reprogram it.

It does seem like there is an argument to suggest that the B1 was sturdier, even if just from a design perspective than the actual hardware itself. @Gordon what was the reason for the B1 being discontinued? It does seem like there could be good use-cases for it with regards to using the watch in a 'tougher' environments.

• the first version of the Bangle did not have such problems, right? ... I also want to say that the buttons on the BJS1 do not interfere with clothes

Not for you or me, but the handful of Bangle.js 1 I have here with ripped out buttons would say otherwise.

When you ship 5000+ of something that people wear every day, even tiny things that most people never experience end up causing big issues :)

contact corrosion on the Bangle 2

All the Bangles we ship now come with tape over the contacts, so that should hopefully be a non-issue now.

@Gordon what was the reason for the B1 being discontinued?

Well, mainly it was the the manufacturer being really poor and it being really difficult to reflash all of those Bangles from a factory state via Bluetooth. Christine had to disassemble and clean/rework roughly 1 in 10 watches that we received.

Every single order I made with them (apart from the first) had big problems, and at some point I just have to walk away - the Bangle.js 2 seemed so much better that it wasn't really worth continuing with the old one.

• Post a reply
    • Bold
    • Italics
    • Link
    • List
    • code
    • Preview
About

Is the Bangle.js 2 any less rugged than the Bangle.js 1?

Posted by Avatar for jamesh @jamesh

Actions