You are reading a single comment by @HughB and its replies. Click here to read the full conversation.
  • I think with your statistical approach it might be possible to estbalish a minimum confidence level where taking an average is going to be good enough for most people.

The question is how much accuracy people are after when measuring heart rate. For example I dont really mind if its +-3bpm out against something more accurate BUT I would like the HRM to work when I am running and up to 7min mile pace would cover most casual amature runners. Obviosuly once you are going over that you are pretty much a known athlete (local club level) for 1/2 marathons etc, and accuracy will matter a lot. For the likes of me (currently tying to get into the couch-5k bracket) I'm not too bothered about HRM accuracy, just want it to record 150 when I am running at 6 miles an hour etc.

For meauring one version against another what should the test methodology be at running speed. EG run at 4mph , 5mph and record heart rate to within X% of some other device. Aplogies for talking miles, all my main running was done before quoting everything in K became the norm.

• For meauring one version against another what should the test methodology be at running speed

Right now the statiscs only reflect the algorithm used at recording time and are not suitable to compare differenct parameters/approaches.
    Before we can start assembling a test suite for the runners use case we first need to make sure we can record all data necessary, especially ppg, acc and some bt reference in sync and are able to do something useful with that data.
    To ensure the last point we have halemmerichs hrmaccevents for now as a great starting point for local use at the computer as said.

But then yes, a set of files from different runners is what I think of. I don't know how relevant the concrete speed is above some point - depends on style I would guess, but we see the speed roughly from number of steps or more accurate from GPS if provided in the file anyway.
    [Due to an injury, I can't run for some time unfortunatly, will start with cycling]

And sorry that I posted those statistics here in the Run App Review Thread
    I will stop discussing this here and continue in the PPG thread until we have a conrete call for data donations.

About