Ollie

Member since Jul 2014 • Last active Jun 2018
  • 27 conversations
  • 456 comments

Most recent activity

• in General

I’d be inclined agree with your friend, that you are running different scripts. Sure it was provision.sh and not vagrant_provision.sh?

• in Puck.js, Pixl.js and MDBT42

Also looks good @MaBe. You guys are saving us a job.

Looks good!

• in ESP8266

Yes, that makes sense, after load() allows you to use the websocket as you need rather than one-time.

I don't think you are that far away. At the moment your websocket code is sort of orphaned but if you've got logging statements that appear after load() has run and when you're connected on your network that's a great start.

Either bring your socket code into that part too, or maybe wrap the socket code in a function and just call it to set it up?

Briefly looking at the README for the Espruino Wifi Manager the callback function is used on successful connection, so that's probably were you have your logging that works(?) and where you need to put your code (either pasted or the function call). I'm guessing a bit.

If that does not help, post up your code as you have it now.

• in ESP8266

Hey @Gian were you able to move forward with your project? If I can help, I'm happy to try. Kids need this stuff :)

In the meantime, if anyone has suggestions for this housing, please let me know here

Nice. One suggestion would be an opening for access to the micro-USB port?

• in ESP8266

Actually, that's not quite right, after looking at your code file, you've got the module in your code and it would appear the Espruino Wifi Manager (I'm assuming the code belongs to that) checks the validity of the network credentials supplied by first test connecting to the Wifi network before writing to flash & rebooting (nice!) so if you bring your websocket code into there, below this line in the start_wifi function:

console.log("Connected to: " + wifi.getIP().ip);

and defer calling load() until the websocket sends the credentials (your test object) that should work.

Given this would seem to be a one way, one time exchange of data, you could probably simplify your code again by making a HTTP POST with the data, and have a backend which can handle forms (assuming that's possible).

• in ESP32

You can host modules externally and they will be required. So you could use a Git provider and load the module directly using it's URI. Only downside is you obviously need connectivity.

• in ESP8266

I'm not familiar with Espruino Wifi Manager, but looking at it, it looks like the wifi configuration is saved by first operating as an access point (192.168.4.1), after reboot the ESP8266 connects as a station to your LAN using the saved credentials.

So first time round, before save/reboot, the ESP8266 has no connectivity to anything on your Wifi network, so you will not be able to communicate via websocket to anything other than the browser connection, through which you are adding the username and password.

You will need to wait for your network connection before sending the credentials to a websocket server on your network, but this should be possible.

I'd be interested. No access to a laser cutter, but would the design lends itself to 3D printing?

Actions