Ollie

Member since Jul 2014 • Last active Sep 2018
  • 28 conversations
  • 478 comments

Most recent activity

• in Projects

I had the original (with the non-qwerty keyboard), the 3, and the 5.
    Psions were fabulous machines in their time.
    Great idea for a project - good luck.

• 16 comments
  • in Other Boards

If this is better yes why not, it would save my embarrassment like above - but why can we flash the ESP8266 at speeds of 115k upwards though? Is it unfair to say the boards can't handle it? Or is it firmware limited?

• in Projects

1) Many routers let you reserve an IP based on MAC address. I've used this facility on a Netgear router on an Espruino/ESP8266 project of my own.
    2) WebSockets if you can connect directly to the ESP8266 over LAN, MQTT if you need to be remote/WAN and don't want to open your firewall to your home network.
    3) ESP8266 Espruino build has facility to save WIFI credentials independently of your sketch/code. Check out the documentation.

Good luck

Edit: If you can't assign an IP based on Mac address go with MQTT. This negates the issue of a dynamically changing IP address, lets you use remotely without firewall compromise (which is often unsafe DMZ), and is great for two way communication.

• in Puck.js, Pixl.js and MDBT42

Very nice! Do you get wacky readings during a decent fermentation - I could see it being knocked about with some yeasts. Does their tilt app average it out?

• in ESP8266

If like Robodyn there’s an antenna embedded in the board itself, there’s a tiny hole in it. Trying shorting it and grounding at the hole. I can’t remember which worked, but on Robodyn that improved reception - which I believe is the issue.

Probably not practical fix as board gets very warm.

But problems I experienced on Robodyn just same as you describe and above worked.

• in ESP8266

That looks a lot like a robodyn board (based on embedded circuitry vs mounted ESP8226 12 as seen on node MCU). Myself and a couple of others had no success with WiFi and Espruino. Others have been able to use WiFi with Arduino.

The web IDE is very fast. It scans and finds the devices really quickly. And seems to upload quickly too. I didn't remark on it Gordon as I don't use the web IDE day to day, so don't have something to compare to.

I use (probably) an old/soon to be deprecated chrome app, but the if you want a comparison between those two - they are like chalk cheese for me. Web IDE much faster.

No issues connecting to Pixl for me. Chrome app or Web IDE.

I started messing with a load cell, but concluded it would be just as vague as a bubble counter - nice graph but really only indicative of when process had finished. Batch size also needs to be factored in, whereas nice thing about the Tilt is it calibrated so as well as determining when finished it gives the OG and FG data and batch size is irrelevant.

Be interested to know if you got connected to it @Wilberforce?

Actions