Anomaly

Member since Mar 2014 • Last active Jul 2014
  • 2 conversations
  • 7 comments

Most recent activity

• 4 comments
  • in Interfacing

I looked up information on the board from the manufacturer and it says the input voltage can only go as high as 3.3V. Darnit ebay...

I'm pretty sure that you're right about it being a short. I've rechecked my wiring several times and it seems like that's not the problem. Time to give up and try another LCD? I doubt I could do much to fix it (or that it would be worth the time and effort for a $5 display).

• in Interfacing

I tried connecting a ILI9341 LCD to the espruino, however almost immediately after connecting VCC and GND (to BAT and GND respectively) and giving it power, a small component on the back began smoking. While I disconnected it as quickly as possible, I'm not sure if this damaged the LCD.

I tried connecting it to a 3.3V pin instead, which did not cause the component to begin smoking, but seems to short out the board in some way, as it stops responding to input and cannot be connected to the computer until the VCC wire is removed. I also noticed that LED1 on the espruino glows faintly when VCC and GND for the LCD are connected.

Any idea what the issue is? I made sure I didn't have the wires backwards. If I run the code in the Code Examples section for the LCD without VCC plugged in, the screen lights up white, so it seems to be at least semi-functional.

• 9 comments
  • in Interfacing

Since nothing I tried seemed to make the Espruino want to work with the I2C board, I decided to try desoldering the board from the LCD and connecting the pins manually. This seems to have sort of worked, since I can now produce a flashing square where before there was no response whatsoever. The problem is, it still isn't displaying any characters (I've fiddled with the backlight brightness and rechecked the pins to make sure that wasn't the problem). The only result of using

var lcd = require("HD44780").connect(A0,A1,C0,C1,C­2,C3);
    var count = 0;
    function showData() {
     count++;
     lcd.clear();
     lcd.setCursor(0,0);
     lcd.print("Current data:");
     lcd.setCursor(4,1);
     lcd.print("Count: "+count);
    }
    setInterval(showData, 1000);

to test the setup is that the cursor square randomly moves to several different positions on the screen (it moves every time the program runs the showData function). It also looks like the screen cycles between different display "modes" with the faintly visible background squares disappearing or changing shape slightly when the cursor moves.

My question is, does this just sound like the pin order is wrong? I'm not sure what else the problem could be.

• in Interfacing

So to be clear, the SDA and SCL pins on the I2C board are just connected to the corresponding signal pins on the espruino board. There is no need to connect additional resistors to anything because they appear to be built into the I2C board.

I have already tried connecting the board in such a manner (VCC to +3.3V, GND to ground, SDA to B6 and SCL to B7 with no resistors on either), which results in the same code as seen above.

• in Interfacing

Sorry, haven't checked this in a while.

The I2C board is labeled as LCD2004. Perhaps I am misunderstanding something here, but I connected SDA and SCL each with a resistor to the B6 and B7 pins on the board. I was under the impression that these were just signal pins and got their power from the VCC connection.

• in Interfacing

Just a thought, but could it be that the problem is due to trying to run the 5V LCD off of a 3.3V pin?

• in Interfacing

Long story short, I bought this LCD board: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003B22­UR0/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i01?ie=UTF8&p­sc=1
    which has an I2C adapter on back and at least looks similar to the HD44780, but when I try to connect it to the Espruino and use the following code:

I2C1.setup({scl:B6, sda:B7});
    var lcd = require("HD44780").connectI2C(I2C1);
    lcd.print("Hello World!");

I wind up with this output in the console:

1v55 Copyright 2014 G.Williams
    >echo(0);
    INTERNAL ERROR: Timeout on I2C Write Transmit Mode 2
    INTERNAL ERROR: Timeout on I2C Write Transmit
    at line 2 col 21
    d,d,e,e,e|4,e|4,e,e])}
                         ^
    in function "a" called from line 1 col 8
    in function "f" called from line 2 col 23
    in function "connectI2C" called from line 1 col 45
    ERROR: Using '.' operator on non-object at line 1 col 4
    lcd.print("Hello World!");
        ^
    =undefined

As I am still new to using this stuff, what is wrong is not clear. I tried connecting 10K resistors on the SDA and SCL pins, (which are connected to B7 and B6 respectively) but this has not changed anything. Anyone know what I'm doing wrong?

Actions