Notification problems

Posted on
  • I have been using my Bangle JS 2 for a few weeks now, and as a former Pebble user I love the watch. I love the idea, the open nature, the battery life, the eco system. There's a lot to love here. Just a few tweaks and for me it's perfect!

I do however have a few issues with notifications.

1. I'm using banglejs Gadgetbridge on my Android phone. When I receive a notification the watch shows the notifcation and vibrates. However, it will not stop vibriting until I press the button on the watch. Which means that if I don't wear the watch (for example at night) it will just continue to vibrate and drain the battery.
      Is there a fix for this? Did I miss a setting in Gadgetbridge?

2. Is there a way for the watch button to always instantly bring me back to the watch face? I don't need to see a list of older notifications. I find myself just endlessly pressing the back button until I see my watch face again after receiving a notification.

3. Last issue, and I've seen others mention this as well; the vibration motor is really weak. I have my phone set to silent and use my watch to notify me for incoming calls and messages. However, I miss a lot of calls because of the week vibration.

Is this something that can be addressed in software? Or is there a way to install a beefier vibration motor, like the on in the Pebble (set to jackhammer that thing could wake you up).

• A couple of suggestions that might be solutions to your issues:

1. Check the in-watch settings for the Messages app and make sure "Repeat" is off.
    2. A longer press (couple of seconds) will always bring you back to the watch face.
    3. Same as 1. but change the vibration pattern to something that's longer or repeats in a pattern that's easier to detect.
  • I think @johan_m_o has got you covered there - but on #3, the vibration pattern used makes a huge difference to how easy it is to notice. There is a selection of patterns, but if you really care you can even log in with the IDE and write your own pattern into the settings file - like if you want it to buzz 10 times or something that's not an option.

• These vibration patterns are exactly what I was looking for! I have also disabled repeat, which was set to 4 seconds (I feel it was longer than that). I'll test these settings today, see if it helps.

I know about the long press, but I don't like it. I guess that is something I will have to get used to.

Thanks @johan_m_o and @Gordon.

• I know about the long press, but I don't like it.

You could try the fast reset app. If you do and there is something you think needs fixing please do tell! 🙂

• You could try the fast reset app. If you do and there is something you think needs fixing please do tell! 🙂

Awesome. Installed. I'll let you know if I run in any issues.

• I guess that is something I will have to get used to.

Well, the idea of Bangle.js if you don't have to if it bothers you. The handler for when you press the button on a message is here:

https://github.com/espruino/BangleApps/b­lob/master/apps/messagegui/app.js#L343-L­348

If you change it to:

function goBack() {
        layout = undefined;
        msg.new = false; // read mail
        load(); // the 'kill' event handler calls saveMessages
      }

and upload it'll probably do what you want. It could even be made into an option in the messages app.

• Well, the idea of Bangle.js if you don't have to if it bothers you. The handler for when you press the button on a message is here:

I took me some figuring out how to get the edited file on the watch, but that definitely did the trick!

• Post a reply
    • Bold
    • Italics
    • Link
    • List
    • code
    • Preview
About

Notification problems

Posted by Avatar for chaozz @chaozz

Actions