A follow-up to Puck.js?

Posted on
  • Gordon, thank you for your contributions!
    I've just recently gotten into Arduino et al. and have gotten a Puck.js - what a fun little device, and a JS-based web IDE is so easy and fun to use.

Do you have any plans for a follow-up? Ideally, something a little more powerful and with some more built-in sensors (IMU) and connectivity, while retaining a small-ish size and being wrapped up in a neat little self-contained package.

• Thanks! The main followup is this: http://www.espruino.com/Pixl.js

There'll also be a more Pico-style board with Bluetooth LE too.

In terms of more sensors, it adds a lot to the cost and also drains the battery a lot faster so I'd probably need a new case with a bigger battery, which means quite a lot of development cost. I am considering re-selling Nordic Thingy:52 devices though, since they've thrown the Kitchen sink in there - rechargeable LiPo, 9 axis sensor, separate accelerometer, pressure, humidity, temperature, 2 different gas qualities, microphone and speaker. There's no way I could make anything remotely similar for that price.

• got a Thingy:52 and 2x Puck.JS. the Thingy is in a drawer getting dust and the with the Pucks I play daily (HID keyboard shortcuts - press and long press)

Thingy pros:

• wakes up from deep sleep on movement
    • environment sensors (temp/humidy/air quality)
    • accelerometer – want to use it for a VR like toy controller

• no easy to program (I should put Espruino on it)
    • fugly – compared to Puck's silicone
    • bulky
    • mic/speaker 8kHz quality

can't wait for PixlJS to play with the display :)

• Thingy:52 looks very interesting, but I agree that it's really bulky.
    Either way, I look forward to Espruino being supported on more platforms.

• Post a reply
    • Bold
    • Italics
    • Link
    • List
    • code
    • Preview

A follow-up to Puck.js?

Posted by Avatar for mleibman @mleibman