Replacement for IDE?

Posted on
Page
of 2
Prev
/ 2
  • What do you think about IDE on Android as well? Now I have not found a way to start it directly on Android. While some Chromium-based browsers say they support Crome Apps, I see an error if I try to install Espruino Web IDE. IMHO Android support will be even more actual in future.

• For Bluetooth LE devices, it already works just by visiting https://www.espruino.com/ide on Chrome and a recent browser.

USB is more difficult since I don't believe the browsers expose that. It'd require a separate app to connect USB - but nothing stops you running an IDE server on a computer that has Puck.js connected, and then connecting to that over the network.

Do you have an example of an Android device that you might seriously consider developing on though? I'm struggling to think of any proper consumer devices that even have keyboards

• I have tried to program ESP8266-based clock using Android TV-box with HDMI display, USB keyboard and mouse - my children often use it as yet another computer if all normal computers are in use. The TV-box has powerful processor, big memory and storage. Now I am going to use Espruino WebIDE in Linux VM on the TV-box, as workaround.
    If it is possible and not too dificult to support such devices as Espruino Web IDE hosts in future, it may be interesting, because millions are already in use.

• Ok, so you're programming over TCP/IP rather than USB?

I think that's quite a special case - however if Espruino supported Telnet over WebSockets (which could be done with a bit of JS code) you could just go to the IDE as a website - no native apps or anything.

• Post a reply
    • Bold
    • Italics
    • Link
    • List
    • code
    • Preview
About

Replacement for IDE?

Posted by Avatar for user83866 @user83866

Actions