• Hi,

I would like to use the Espruino interpreter on an atmel sam d20 board. At the moment there is no need to access peripherals, network, file system etc. But it should compile in Atmel Studio. Can you recommend where to get started, should I include the files in src directly in Atmel? Is this ok regarding license?

Best Regards,
    wil

• Hi wil,

Best to check out the following to get an idea of what needs doing:

In terms of the licence, it's MPLv2 so you'd have to check up. Basically as long as you make any changes you make to the Espruino files publicly available then fine. If you create new files or merge existing ones, as long as they don't contain code you copied from Espruino you can keep them to yourself.

I haven't used Atmel studio, but Espruino usually expects to be built by Makefile - it calls some Python code to auto-generate certain files. You could reimplement what happens in the Makefile in Atmel studio, but you might find it's easier to just move your existing code to be built via Makefile.

• You may find yourself a bit memory resource bound with max 32K RAM and 256KB FLASH. But is for sure fun to give it a try.

• To be honest you can do a lot with that. Espruino will get under 128kB ROM with some of the libraries removed, and 32k will get you a very long way too (you can still do some interesting things with the micro:bit, which has less than 6kB RAM available!).

It's only when you start pulling in modules and doing still with graphics and network that it really gets eaten up :)

• Hi Gordon,
    thank you for the quick reply. Yes I tried to remove things I do not need and by now it looks really good. Your source is very well structured and easy to understand! I will report you again!

• Post a reply
    • Bold
    • Italics
    • Link
    • List
    • code
    • Preview
About

Interpreter only for Atmel Sam D20 in Atmel Studio

Posted by Avatar for user62791 @user62791

Actions