is gbmusic depcrecated?

Posted on
  • I'm currently using gbmusic. I'd like to add a option for displaying the current time when something is playing.

In this issue comment on Github, it's mentioned that gbmusic is "kinda" deprecated.

Is this true? Should I create a fork and add the time display, or should I create a PR for gbmusic?

• I'd just create a PR for gbmusic

Are you using it on top of the normal Android integration app and it's all working fine?

In general, I'd say it'd be nice to improve the 'built in' music control in the messagesgui app that's installed by default if possible (so gbmusic is deprecated in that sense) but if you're using it and you want to add a feature then that's great.

Did you mean the current time (eg 12:00pm) or the actual time in the song? I have a feeling we may have avoided showing the current time in the song because that information wasn't readily available from Gadgetbridge (and we'd have had to have guessed)

• @Gordon
    Thanks for the info, appreciated.

I want to see the current time of the day.

So I will just do that then :-)

In general, I'd say it'd be nice to improve the 'built in' music control in the messagesgui app [...]

I feel like the gbmusic app is a bit more "reliable"

Which brings me to:

I have a feeling we may have avoided showing the current time in the song because that information wasn't readily available [...]

Ah, that sounds like it explains one of the issues I have with the default music UI:

• it shows me info about a track which is available, but if I hit the play icon it plays something from a different app. (I'm using NewPipe, Podcast Addict and Spotify and it seems if NewPipe is open, this one catches the Play-Intent first)
    • it also does not show the time but some (wrong?) time info of the current track
    • it does not reliable start when I listen to something on my connected phone, which didn't seem to be a problem with gbmusic.
  • I want to see the current time of the day.

You could actually just install the clock widget: https://banglejs.com/apps/?id=widclk

That will display a clock in the widget bar of any app that isn't a clock :)

Obviously that may not be what you're after, but I thought it worth suggesting

but if I hit the play icon it plays something from a different app.

That's strange, because as far as I can see both apps send an identical command to Gadgetbridge!

Also odd about it reliably starting - I can see that would be a real pain. I guess in a way it makes sense to just have a way of starting it direct from the Messages GUI anyway.

• Post a reply
    • Bold
    • Italics
    • Link
    • List
    • code
    • Preview
About

is gbmusic depcrecated?

Posted by Avatar for _Martin_ @_Martin_

Actions