You are reading a single comment by @HughB and its replies. Click here to read the full conversation.
  • I did some actual realworld tests and came to the conclusion that the test harness results are not matching what you would get in a real world physical test. However the situation is complicated. In order to investigate will need to record the steps according to the AmizFit and also the current version of the step counter running on the bangle. Then compare with what the test harness gives.

My final conclusions about what is working are based on real world tests rather than the test harness results. Our users will only every test this way.

8 steps and 17 as the Thresold turned out to be too hard = it reduced the impact on DRIVING but at the expense of the accuracy of real world walking.

• 15min Driving: Amix 19, Bangle 9 (test harness predicted 80 if I recall).
    • Walking Amiz 6605, Bangle 3.12 5261, 79% - bad result.

Tried v3.13: 6 Steps / Threshold of 14.

SLEEP Amiz 0, 3.13 65
    DRIVE Amiz 60 3.13 90 -- most of this was the first 400m. ** (see note below)
    WALKING Amiz 3191 v3.13 3158 -- 98.8%
    DRIVING Amiz 3, v3.13 = 78

More real world test cases required BUT Here is my justification for the pay offs between
    X in X and the RAW threshold:

This is what we ideally want in terms of behaviour from our pedometer:
    SLEEP: Less than 100 steps - this loses 1% of in 10K steps - ACHEIVED
    SOFA/DESK work - 0 steps or very low. - ACHEIVED
    DRIVING - Ideally no more that 100 steps per hour - Not really acheived
    WALKING - We want 98-100% accuracy - ACHIEVED - need more results

Lets consider a typical day to consist of:
    SLEEP, DRIVE, WORK, WALKING - if the driving is a commute it may be 100-200s per leg of journey. With a return journey you could rack up 400 steps DRIVING in the day. But not
    everyone drives everyday.

** HOWEVER - I have observed that DRIVING is very non deterministic even with the AmixFit. The
    same drive one day will record 0 steps, the next day it will record 60 steps. The different
    bumps in the road, traffic conditions, etc produce a unique journey as far as the Accelerometer
    data is concerned.

My final push on the firmware repro will be to set X=6 and RAW_THRESHOLD=14.
    I have these set on v3.13 on my bangles and will continue some tests.

Future Work
    -Gather a good solid test of test results. EG 5 measures of the SLEEP, DRIVE, WORK, WALK so that we can be confident we dont just have one off results.
    -Investigate / Meaure how accurate the test harness is based measurements in the real world
    -Gather more / longer accellogs of different mixed activies (but with timeslines of activities).
    -Ask others to repeat some tests aginst FitBits and other smart watches if they have them.

About