You are reading a single comment by @HughB and its replies. Click here to read the full conversation.
  • Is it actually better than the old step counter? If not, I might as well revert it.

Gut feel, I think it is improved, but still quite a way off being able to say we have reliable step counter. I was going to give a good test on a known 1.03mile route I have previously used many times to test step counters - but when I saw I was logging 1000s of steps sat at a desk I thought it would be better to see if that got sorted first. I may try it with the activepedom as well, assuming it is still compatible with that widget. ActivePedom has the X steps in X seconds feature which effectively takes out any counting when sat still.

Is that something you normally do? I don't really see how I'm supposed to filter this
    out if it's at a rate that's the same as walking?

No. Apologies - maybe that sample was not that great an idea. Maybe I should have done it just 3 times in 30 seconds.

I could be wrong but I think if you did this to most step counters, they would count steps as well.

I have an AmizFit Bip and an old FitBit and neither count steps on reaching across a desk or rotating a wrist, maybe the odd time but not consistantly to the point that by the end of the day when my AmizFit would say 1200 steps and the bangle says 8000+ today.

I can't really afford to spend too long on this

Yeah - I understand, this will be one of many things wanting attention.

Maybe its time to have a competition to see if anyone can get a better version. I might have a go myself if its not to hard a jump to get into. I had a quick look at the link. What is the lifcycle of trying to improve this ? EG - do you just add samples until you get better figures at the end or would the C need to be adjusted etc ? How would one actually test this for real on a Bangle ? Is there a way to patch the firmware or would you have to build your own firmware from the source etc and then use the DFU loader etc. I think real world testing is needed here - I know all too well how time consuming that is from walking outside waiting for a GPS fix etc.

Having a good enough step counter is an essential base level feature of any smartwatch though. I would rather Bangle became my default smartwatch than have to wear a second one to get an accurate step count etc.

Maybe float the idea of a competion and see if there is much enthiusiasm for it ?

About