• Your explanation was helpful and added clarification to the troubleshooting section @Gordon.

I modified onInit() and removed E.on('init' and now have another peculiar scenario.

Verified nothing connected to B6 ,B7

function onInit() {

Serial1.setConsole();

// Power up delay waiting for device to settle 
      setTimeout( function() {

startSequence();

}, 9900 );  
    }

By adding a rather long timeout shy of ten seconds, I see how the console.log() statements are now not visible (as expected). However, now the reset button on the Pico is in-effective as Red LED doesn't illuminate or flicker ever. But, when the IDE is re-connected as in a disconnect re-apply power to the USB cable then re-connect, the left pane starts filling up with the console.log() statements and the Pico starts to be happy again. This requires the IDE to be connected, not what I desire.

It's troubling that a hard reset doesn't perform a reset. Hard disconnect of cable does then flash the Red LED as expected, and RESET then works as expected.

Ref:

Of course the problem with that is that none of your print statements will be readable by the user

console.log() statements only intended to be visible during development and not required stand alone, so okay there.

About