You are reading a single comment by @stephaneAG and its replies. Click here to read the full conversation.
  • Hi there :)

@allObjects -> exactly, & precisely ! ^^

On "miming things" tutorials, we could have step-by-step / timed popus telling stuff while some buttons are "pressed" ( with maybe an animated arrow showing emphasing the btn press ? ) or just record a quick gif on what a circuit does ( less flexible than the above, yet understood immediately )
    Ex: I wish there was a "gif showing the circuit in use" while hovering the vignette of a circuit on 123DCircuits ( matter of adding a record/stop/erase button & registering mouse movements & clicks, to then recreate moving virtual pointer in the "gif" view - reminds me of the way a member of Panic could produce very nice looking gifs - which were not ;p )

Yes, it seems we're indeed ending up doing the same sort of things ( for me, it's often some D&D in a F12 console to quickly poke the logical blocks with dumb vars )

Nice work ! ( I'd say it's another sort of "visually pleasant" ;p )
    It's clean & serves its purpose ( & wouldn't need more "niceties" - agreed to more than often "less is more" ( .. ) )
    -> I'll digg your post & your tool with pleasure ;)

@Gordon
    :D
    Glad you appreciate this little contribution & also "my bad", I didn't check beforehand ;) ..

Actually, I kinda like yours with the onboard traces, & if you see the color I used when designing it in Illu, it seems we used the same gray-ish taint ( I just uploaded the file to the repo, if of any use https://github.com/stephaneAG/Espruino_t­ests/blob/master/EspruinoMimetism/Esprui­noBoards_wip.ai :) - I wonder if Github 'll follow Google in previewing .ai .. )

I could find the following thread http://forum.fritzing.org/t/espruino-pic­o-microcontroller-board-anyone/123 which points here https://github.com/fritzing/fritzing-par­ts/blob/master/core/EspruinoPico_8fb644a­5b6642112445ed6d90bc494d8_6.fzp

From looking at the .fzp, I guess updating the SVG 'd be replacing the id's in my SVG by those in

<breadboardView>
         <p layer="breadboardbreadboard" svgId="connector8pin"/>
        </breadboardView>

as well as the file pointed by

<views>
      <breadboardView>
       <layers image="breadboard/EspruinoPico_breadboar­d.svg">
        <layer layerId="breadboardbreadboard"/>
       </layers>
      </breadboardView>

Am I right, or is there any other work that's to be done on the pins & cie to make it possible to "stick" wires on those in Fritzing ?

If so, then it'd be just a matter of uploading the right file at the right place, & "update" parts for Fritzing users ?
    -> I'd be happy to do so ;)

On the said SVGs, I am cleaning the Original Espruino's one ( reordering layers, mainly, & tagging what's not tagged yet .. )
    -> oh, I wonder if you saw the pulsating LEDs ^^ ( yeah, that's lame, but I loved it when it blinked ;p )

On the Espruino IDE side, I have some thought that may be interesting:

• when selecting audio serial, then clicking on the connect button, wouldn't it be logical to be shown a jack icon instead of a usb one ?
    • when selecting an official or supported peripheral, it could be pretty sweet to have it's icon on the right side of the bar representing it in the "select a port" popup ( so left: protocol | middle: device name & stuff | right: icon of board )
    • we could also have the SVG of the connected board in the prefs menu ( section board ? ^^ ), or use it to somehow represent an activity on a pin ( with possible graphs showing props on the state of the pin, .. ) ?

Using the Web IDE term 'd be sweet, even more if we can have that "fully online cake" ;D
    On those two, I'm facing few things:

Concerning the Espruino API, I was wondering how hard it was coupled with the underlying hardware ( I was hoping to get some lightweight stuff by having "pins" available as window.PIN ( as well as board.PIN / board['PIN'] & board.type.PIN - where type is either LED, button, of PIN, for both traces & pin holes ) plus same functions headers - possibily left utouched - just enough to "emulate" the lower level needs )
    Without further knowledge on Epsruino's Core, I'm pretty sure I'll face a wall here ( and not sure to build myself a harpoon .. no nails or hammer here ;p ) :/ ..

Which brings me to that fact that sadly, I can't get neither the IDE nor its web version to communicate with my Espruinos on OS X 10.6.8 - and not able to type in the left side pane for both :/
    -> BUT good news: I took the time to re-test the audio serial code from outside of the web IDE ( using some code I borrowed for a project using the WebAudioAPI ), and IT WORKED ( ! )
    Nb: I only had a TRRS jack handy, & only tested the Tx capability, but the wiring that worked differs from the one posted in the tuts ( I took some quick notes & post a clean update ( .. ) )
    On this, to do the Rx part, do I have to extract the fcnality from the Web IDE or did someone already did it ? ( I kinda remember a post on this need .. )
    -> As soon as I got it, I can try the Tx/Rx combo on a TRRS jack & this 'll surely work on OS X, happily bypassing what's wrong with my install of ChromeApp ( .. ) :D

I leave you on this, I promised not to write too long posts ;p

Cheers +

About

Avatar for stephaneAG @stephaneAG started