You are reading a single comment by @DrAzzy and its replies. Click here to read the full conversation.
  • Get off the fence @DrAzzy tell us what you really think :)

I'll check ebay for the kit you mention. I suppose the appeal of this thing is the price. It looks better than the iron I have, and I paid more for that. I'm guessing it's not anything professionals would use, but for the entry level bods like me maybe it's ok. I don't know. I'll get one anyway. £8.00!!!!

• I do see a lot of people on forums complaining about how hard soldering is. After seeing this and other threads where people compared the resistor-in-a-plastic-handle that they used with the resistor-in-a-plastic-handle that the other guy who also had trouble soldering used, and show pictures of boards where they've turned the solder mask into black crumbles, basically boards that look worse than I could make a board look if I tried, using a weller soldering iron older than I am. And that's counting the soldering I've done on friday evenings after a night at the local pub.

I am inclined to think that, even more than experienced solderers, the entry level electronics people are the ones that need a decent soldering iron. Where I could use some flakey soldering iron, that didn't hold temperature very well, by playing with the adjustment dial if it "felt" too hot or not hot enough, and keeping the tip clean (because the tips on the cheapo ones don't seem to hold up - meanwhile you can leave a weller on and go away for the weekend, and come back and it'll be ready to use - wipe the tip, tin it and go), and get away just fine using it. Someone who wasn't good at soldering though might not be able to "feel" that the tip was getting too hot for the job or be able to compensate.

Of course, the entry level people are the ones less likely to go out and buy a nice iron.

I started on a Weller with the magnetic tips for temp control.
    This one, for example. My father has I think two or three of these:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Weller-TC-202-So­ldering-Power-Unit-With-TC201P-Iron-WTCP­-Series-Made-in-USA/272112368401?_trksid­=p2047675.c100005.m1851&_trkparms=aid%3D­222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3­D35218%26meid%3D6d7f05d9e25d45e7928e8e10­f9e8226d%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3­D6%26sd%3D291662474441

I used one similar to that, only narrower (only one spot for sponge) for a bunch of years, only recently got a few electronically temp controlled ones - and honestly I barely use the temp control feature. Usually you just want it to hold at like 700 degrees, so the magentic tip kind does what you want anyway.

Get off the fence @DrAzzy tell us what you really think :)

Okay, that soldering iron is garbage, and you're an idiot for considering it! (am i doin it right? :-P )

About

Avatar for DrAzzy @DrAzzy started