• In Arduino, you're writing the main loop, you're forever reimplementing things to do time delays gracefully (ie, what we do setTimeout and setInterval for - I swear, like a quarter of posts on the Arduino forums are about that) - In Espruino, it's event based, which really makes a lot more sense for most of the kind of things you'd want to do with a microcontroller. You've got more between you and the board on Espruino, but it's not bull, it's there to cover up the bull.

@DrAzzy, thanks for that statement.

Coming from the inverse as @user53407 - literally AND numerically: lots of SW and only tinkering with and books on HW, even though tinkering with HW started first - I tried to befriend the HW and micro controller world for a while... some Z8 a very while ago, then some SX from (gone) ubicon, then - with big hopes but not much sustenance - Arduino - until now with Espruino. May be having walked this path made Espruino so attracting and compelling to spend and continue spending countless hours on-top of the hours of my life I spend on coding for making living. ...or may be I'm just another dunce and wasted my life on myself to get better at something - coding? - I was never destined for... not a great retro that far in life (time) and an even a worse outlook... to make a substantial course correction and reaching that different goal... (no worries, no intention to change, just to learn and grow, adding things to my tool belt...).

That's what matters: never give up on life long learning... and like learning to swim works only satisfactorily in water - literally - picking up an own idea about a project and beginning to wade into it, join others in their journey - as participant or even as a observer only - makes it fun and gets you there. Who said 'painless'? the pain inflicted on yourself will define the gain on arrival.

..."synthetic" RTOS with the coder being the event?

...abstract: yes. RTOS 'real'... not really... because the setup is matter of fact putting something between you - and more so the real time - and the board,. But that makes it even more attractive dive in and overcome the challenges by finding the right thread of thought, algorithms, and adjustments to get 'there' no matter what. I have to say that the friendly faces of the coin which is placed between me and the board outnumber the challenging one(s) by 2 : 1... with the rim being the libero circling around the challenging one and getting it more and more transformed to my liking.

Apply what you learned in your HW world and you will enjoy the journey of growing in coding. Im sure hat the benefits of a 'small (static and dynamic/logic) interface' between any sub system / component in HW is - 'less wires' - are the same as in software: better use, less dependency... To achieve this in HW, SW - aka programming - helps a lot with it.

PS: I'll remember you... and watch out: I may tap into your HW experience pool times to come...

About

Avatar for allObjects @allObjects started