BogdanG

Member since Dec 2013 • Last active Jun 2014
  • 5 conversations
  • 42 comments

I am a fan of Arduino, STM32, Launchpad/Stellaris.
I live in Cracow, Poland.

Most recent activity

• 7 comments
    • 31 comments
  • in News

Hi Gordon,
    For sure!
    Frankly I gave up the espruino latelly for pure C but it may be worth to try it again.

Thanks
    Bogdan

• in General

@Michel
    For now I switched to pure C (Keil IDE). You can debug programs in RAM without having to reprogram the STM32 (nice feature working on Keil).
    The ST released CubeX GUI-based peripheral configuration tool which allows to setup peripheral without deep knowledge about internal registers of the STM32. It simply gererates basic code to deal with clocks, GPIO, etc. You can only focus on your project then.

• in General

For some application using javascript is not suitable, but for simple ones it might be useful. It's nothing new in the software industry - you do not use object oriented programming when you want to do simple automation tasks... You choose the programming language to get the results quickly - at least in business settings we do use this approach.

They are some application where espruino is the best - for example prototyping.
    I meant espruiono popularisation, nothing more.

I'm closing the topic. Thanks you for sharing your thoughts.

• in General

I had ONLY one STM32VL where I use the licenced espruino - tt is licenced per SN, isn't it?.
    So I have NOT violated the license agreement at least for SN licensing approach.

BTW. Two other STM32 boards are programmed using the arduino (libmaple).
    I have 10+ boards coming from Texas Instruments and many from arduino makers.

I did many projects where I was not able to use espruino for many reasons (performance, memory constrains, complexity of javascript event oriented model when using challange/response communications required complex FSMs, etc).

At the beginning the espruino was promissing and I spent many hours trying to use it in every project
    (maybe you remember the Nokia FBUS issues we used to troubleshoot together).
    I quickly noticed that STM32VL isn't so powerful to run espruino and gave up the idea for some time.
    That's another reason why I did NOT bought another license.

Espruino has its place in the hobbyst market. And as usual it is not a 'silver bullet'.

• in General

People have different needs. For some people the espruino is great choice. The others might want for example a bunch of sensors embedded on the board and ST boards might be very tempting.

• in General

I know how the ST business model looks like - they want to popularise thei board to earn money later.

Assuming that the espruino is targetted at hobbists market the ST, TI, freescale are great choice (cheap, feature-rich), etc.

Maybe releasing espruino for as many boards as possible is a nice choice.
    Speciall features could be licenced to get some money from it (it's clear for me that you need money).

Since Kickstart success the popularity of the espruino rised somewhat, I guess.
    But I think the main barrier is the espruino board itself.
    I personally have about 20 different boards from many vendors (most of the subsidized) and I am looking for for common development environment.

I would look for opportunity how to popularize the espruino-javascipt among hobbits but I would not limit it to a single board (the mentioned "Unsupported board" headline might be discouraging).

I am sorry for these words - you know I have been a fun of the espruino since the beginning.

• in General

I think it's difficult to compete with Discovery F4. For about 15$ you get nice board:
    http://www.st.com/web/catalog/tools/FM11­6/SC959/SS1532/PF252419#

Of course some effort is required to use ARM tools but it's feasible and pretty flexible.
    Some STM32 boards are supported by arduino (libmaple project and its derivatives).
    I use it for STM32VLDiscovery when I run into memory shortage using javascipt.

Actions