prehensile

Member since Mar 2024 • Last active May 2024
  • 3 conversations
  • 11 comments

Most recent activity

• in Bangle.js

Ohhh, I get it now. Flipping it through 90 degrees was the bit that made it all click. Thankyou! I'll crack on when I next get some tinkering time.

• in Bangle.js

Yep yep, it was that bit of documentation which led to the question: afiak, there's not a specific definition of "font bitmap"? Maybe I haven't grokked "column-first, most significant bit first" properly.

It's not super-important I guess, since most of the code seems to be working with per-glyph bitmaps and sticking it all together is already managed by fontconverter.js.

• in Bangle.js

Thanks for the code, @Gordon! I'm up for a challenge :)

I've been poking around some other font related code from the Espruino repos - I'm wondering what the format of the font bitmap data is, as passed to Graphics.setFontCustom? Is it (1) a wide bitmap, consisting of all characters side by side on the x axis, (2) individual bitmap data for each character just concatenated together or (3) something else? This'll help me visualise the process.

• in Bangle.js

Hello! I can see from the Espruino source that a few fonts (like Haxor Narrow) were converted from bdf / pcf font files.

I'd like to try out some other bdf fonts. Is the converter you used available anywhere @Gordon, before I try to make one myself?

• in Projects

Awesome, that makes sense, thank you.

For absolute clarity: does that mean that jeffmer’s unbuffered driver is part of the builds available from your repo?

And when you say “both of his drivers are part of espruino binary” - which binary is that?

And presumably, your js+inline c driver can be used with any build, because it gets compiled when a js file that includes it is uploaded via the web ide?

Understood about internal vs spi flash. I think I’ll be okay with internal for now too.

Time to get another fresh new watch and try it all out, I think :)

• in Projects

Thanks for the info, I think I understand more now.

After reading your reply above, and poking around in your repo and jeffmer's: would I be right in thinking it'd be possible to flash your most recent Magic3 Espruino build, then upload some files from jeffmer's repo and have a reasonably working watch? I really only need to be able to run a clock app I've written for a Bangle.

It looks like most of the code in jeffmer's repo is Espruino js code, to be run in the Espruino interpreter? e.g. not firmware patches.

So the process would go like this (to borrow the one outlined in jeffmer's repo:
    1) Espruino bin using DaFlasher 2) DFU bootloader using WEBIDE 3) Most recent Magic3 Espruino zip file from fanoush repository 4) Upload enough of jeffmer's App js to get a decent watch environment 5) Upload my Bangle clock js

With the understanding that I might need to update some of jeffmer's js to work with the newer version of Espruino.

• in Projects

Hello @fanoush & @jeffmer

I'd like to understand more about the flashing & build process for getting a build of WatchApps onto a Magic3 watch. Specifically:
    1) What's the need for the SoftDevice downgrade step before uploading the WatchApps build?
    2) Would it be possible to build a complete image containing both @fanoush's base Espruino build and @jeffmer's WatchApps stuff that could be flashed in one go from DaFlasher?

On 2), maybe it could be possible to image the whole memory of a watch that has already had everything flashed onto it, and clone that onto a new (identical) watch? I don't understand enough about how memory is structured on the device, and how bootloader flashing etc works to know if that's a sensible idea.

• in Other Boards

Hooray! I found another device and it flashed fine. I guess the one I was using to start with had a flakey BT radio or something. Used nrfConnect to flash everything except the initial DaFlasher .bin file, thanks for the tip on that. Now have a watch with @jeffmer's Watch build of Espruino on it 🙌

Thanks for all your help @fanoush, and for the Magic3 build of Espruino!

Actions