I got a banglejs2 about a month ago and it's the best money I've spent on a watch ever. I've been lurking without an account here and seen several people talking about things like screen locks and ROM encryption could possibly be implemented.
One thing I would certainly praise bangle.js2 for is the fact if offers many ways to mitigate attacks on the device via Bluetooth/non physical access. This is not present in many devices on the market.
However, a notable attack vector seems to be physical access. I am still very new to bangle.js but have several questions.
- What is stored on the watch from my phone, is it messages emails etc, I assume this is configurable?
- Is there any kind of scope for physical access control (a pass code screen lock)/device encryption code?
- Is there any kind of scope for wrist detection (such as on apple watches, the watch auto locks when removed)
- What data would be accessible without such features/locks if my watch got stolen?
- I have seen threads regarding secure boot (personally signed firmware/bootloaders). Is there truly any benefit to this if the device is unencrypted?
- When is phone data/notifications removed from the bangle.js2? I assume the majority is not stored in volatile memory and therefore persists following a shutdown?
4 is my most pressing question. I mean, I'm not really bothered about a sophisticated attacker analyzing my watch, but I certainly am bothered about a thief stealing my watch and having access to a text from my friend saying my home address or similar sensitive data? Or, even a friend or stranger messing with the watch when unattended for a short period like at a coffee shop etc? Or someone just my data being accessible if I lose the watch.
Is there any way to have the same level of control over physical access as there clearly is for Bluetooth? From what I have read thus far it appears most of these options are currently possible due to hardware limitations. I wondered if any dev's had anything I mentioned on their roadmap, or is there something I am missing?
Thank you to all the devs.