user141359

Member since Mar 2022 • Last active Nov 2022
  • 3 conversations
  • 6 comments

Most recent activity

• in Bangle.js

I would like the "find phone" functionality of Gadgetbridge triggered from bangle.js Android App to be louder, much longer and to trigger even if the phone is on mute.

Currently it only triggers a very quiet, and very brief notification sound.
    This notification is also not high priority so "find phone" doesn't work at all if the phone is on vibrate or mute.

Using: bangle.js 2 with FW v2.15 cutting edge build + Android Integration companion app (v0.16)

I am not sure if this needs work in the Android companion app, or Gadgetbridge or both, so I posted the same request to: https://codeberg.org/Freeyourgadget/Gadg­etbridge/issues/2967

• in Bangle.js

Ah yes, one more thing I forgot to mention: Rarely I have been seeing random white bars instead of Date and Charge. But I have been having this problem both before and after the updates on October 7th (both with Settings - Utilities - Debug Info set to default Hide). So I think this is an unrelated issue.

And on August 2nd I had a a third, probably unrelated issue where the watch had completely crashed and kept displaying an old time from 2 hours ago without updating the watchface any more. The settings app would not load, and also the backlight would not turn on or the seconds hand show up on accelerometer movement.
    Only a very long press completely rebooting the watch fixed this.
    This was scarry to me because I am afraid of reading the wrong time and being late.
    Luckily this was the only time this happend since I had been using it since January.

Example of white box instead of text issue:

• in Bangle.js

2v15 or on a cutting edge build

I am on the release build, not the cutting edge build.

On the 7th of October I updated the watch to the release 2v15 build, and I also updated all installed apps to their latest release version. Before that I didn't have a problem (I think before that I was on 2.13, build but I can't remember for sure).

There is a chance that the corruption is not actually caused by the 2V15 build but by an AnDark update. I suspect it's the watch OS but I can't fully rule out other factors since I updated them at the same time.

Just to confirm @user141359 - this only happens when you go to the launcher and then back again from the launcher, without running an app from it?

I actually don't know how it happens, I just look at the watchface randomly to read the time and about every second day I notice it is corrupted. At first I thought it was probably because I had enabled debug output during the update process because I had a bit of a problem connecting to the watch via Blueooth at first and I thought the debug output would give me an indication why I couldn't connect to the watch. Later I realize I could connect without problems if I disabled Gadgetbridge first. Then I forgot to turn off Debug output again. But a week ago I disabled debug output and rebooted and the display corruptions keept happening even with debug output set to Hide. That's when I realized I should probably make a bug report.

Every time I enter settings and go back to the watch screen I believe that causes the watchface to redraw, and so I think that fixed it every time so far.

I am sorry I can not give more details. I haven't tested with another watchface so far.

I attached more photos. Those photos were made before I had switched off debug output, the photo in the original post was made after I had switched off debug output.

Appreciate the extensive response to find the underlying fault!

• in Bangle.js

Ever since upgrading Bangle.js 2 to v2.15 I have a corrupted watch face about every other day.
    Mostly the corruptions are on the top or bottom of the screen.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/rJGqY8sYtKTkqH­kZA

Loading the settings and returning back to the watchface resolves the issue temporarily.

The watchface I am using is AnDark. I didn't have this issue with earlier versions.

• in Bangle.js

First of all thank you @fanoush, when I made this thread 8 months ago I was not aware which Espruino help articles are about Espruino in general and which also apply to Bangle.js 2 in particular. Maybe the homepage could be more specific here!

I know that there is a whitelist functionality. And AFIK also a BETA feature PIN to connect. But those, I believe, are both filters at the device level not on the app level!

On Android usually not all apps can read the notifications! Apps need to request android.permission.BIND_NOTIFICATION_LIS­TENER_SERVICE. Would it be possible for an app to break this security sandbox by requesting the Bluetooth permission instead and then reading the notifications back from the Android companion app on the Bangle.js 2 watch? Or otherwise create mischief on the watch? (By installing additional apps or setting the time). Or sending notifications that I think came from the OS/Gadgetbridge but come instead from evilapp.

Maybe the functionality to install more apps onto the watch should only be possible from some apps or the browser with an extra programming PIN, and not from all apps from that (whitelisted) device.

I guess what I would love to see is some sort of threat model how the watch behaves and what is guaranteed to work and what isn't. What is the responsiblity of the user to secure and what isn't and what the guarantees in terms of isolation and security are.

Thanks in advance!

• in Bangle.js

Hi,

I just received my Bangle.js 2 today. I have setup a different watchface. And setup mirroring of Android notifications by installing the Android app and the Gadgetbridge on the phone according to this guide:
    https://www.espruino.com/Gadgetbridge

Now I want to lock down Bluetooth for security. So that I just get notifications over Bluetooth, but other than that the watch can't have apps installed / deleted or time or settings changed etc.

So I set "Settings - Bluetooth - Programmable" to Off.
    But it seems like that also makes Gadgetbridge notifications not work any more. Is this working as intended?

Actions