Espruino stuck in bootloader mode?

Posted on
  • Hi,

I was following the "Get started" section and everything was going fine. I was able to connect via usb, disconnect, enter bootloader mode, connect, write the flash, disconnect, press Reset to exit bootloader mode, then reconnect and write scripts to test the LED toggling etc... and then I unplugged the Espruino and when I plug it back in it always has the blue LED pulsing, which I assume is bootloader mode. I can't write code in the console anymore and pressing the Reset button without pressing BTN1 is not forcing the Espruino to exit bootloader mode.

Is there anything else I can do or some settings I need to change? I assume since it was working at one point it hopefully isn't broken, but it's kind of useless right now. Any tips or help would be greatly appreciated.

• Maybe you could check BTN1? when you press it, does it click? Maybe you could put a multimeter across it and see if it's actually shorting out when you press it (or if it's always shorted?).

Or have you connected pin B12 to anything? That's what BTN1 is connected to, so if it were pulled high for any reason it'd force the device into bootloader mode.

• I checked BTN1 with the multimeter, it had 3.23 V across when not pressed and ~0V when pressed so it seemed to be functioning properly. I didn't have any wires connected to the board. I even took a video of it on my phone, see:
    http://1drv.ms/1dZXNsK
    (I had some problems with the video not playing correctly, so i'm not sure if it will work for you guys, but basically it shows me unplugging Espruino from USB power, plugging it back in, pressing the reset button, and showing that the Espruino stays in bootloader mode.)

Anyways, after all that, I'm not sure what changed, but through various attempts at disconnects, resets, button mashing, etc.... it somehow got out of bootloader mode and I was able to update the firmware to 1.55 this evening. If someone figures out what causes this I would still like to know, but at least it's fixed for now. Thanks for replying quickly Gordon. Having people remove these small blockers when starting projects is extremely helpful and encouraging that we're not alone with Espruino!

• Thanks! Glad you got it sorted!

The only thing I'm aware of that will keep Espruino in boot mode is if B12 (the button's pin) is a logic 1 on startup. It should be pulled to 0 with a resistor and then BTN1 will short it to 3.3v when pressed.

I guess it's possible that your board has a manufacturing fault and that pull-down resistor isn't connected properly or is damaged? Otherwise it could be that occasionally BTN1 gets stuck down...

• Post a reply
    • Bold
    • Italics
    • Link
    • List
    • code
    • Preview
About

Espruino stuck in bootloader mode?

Posted by Avatar for user6583 @user6583

Actions