Eavesdropping on a bluetooth connection?

Posted on
  • Hey Folks, I am starting on a project that will involve my BangleJs2 and I am wondering if people out there with a little more bluetooth experience than myself might be able to help point me in the right big-picture direction.

I own a Nikon Camera with "built in" wifi that can only be activated by the proprietary snap bridge mobile app software. I can actually connect to bluetooth on my camera with other kinds of devices but the camera is expecting a certain kind of communication to be opened, so it immediately fails in its sort of little proprietary connection dance.

What I was hoping to do was to write a little utility to mimic the wifi startup signals that my phone blurts out when I try to connect to the camera with snap bridge, and to do that I was thinking maybe there would be a way I could eavesdrop on that conversation as it happens so I can understand what's going on a little better. The Bangle2 seemed like an easy platform to use to poke around in that area.

Ideally I would like to end up with a little software button on my bangleJS that I can press to turn wifi on on my D500 so I can use that wifi connection for other things.

I'm wondering if anyone has tried something like this - like the bluetooth mimicry / eavesdrop thing with Bangle before, or if I'm totally off my rocker if people had alternative suggestions for achieving what I am trying to achieve.

Like maybe I need to do it step by step and just have my bangle pretend to be my camera and see what my smartphone says, and then pretend to be my smartphone and see what my camera says, and do that back and forth until I figure out what's going on.

EDIT: It turns out that a later firmware version exposes this functionality right on my camera - rendering my bangle software button hyjinx obsolete / moot. I would delete this post but I actually don't know how, so here's a monument to my impulsive posting habits.

• Shame it's not needed now, but just for anyone else...

Bluetooth can be encrypted, but it's often not - and it's unlikely to be for this kind of thing. It might be possible to use a Bangle to clone the characteristics of the camera, but if you're serious on this I'd buy an nRF52DK and then there are some tools from Nordic that let you 'sniff' bluetooth traffic and you could see exactly what goes on!

... or often someone's already done the hard work for stuff like this and you'll find some code online from someone that figured it out already!

• Post a reply
    • Bold
    • Italics
    • Link
    • List
    • code
    • Preview
About

Eavesdropping on a bluetooth connection?

Posted by Avatar for Philip @Philip

Actions