Confused by IDE

Posted on
  • I find the file handling in the IDE very confusing. In the settings there's a flag to "save code to Chrome's cloud storage" but I see no way to restore/load from there. Does it just save the contents of the edit buffer and auto-restore? When I use a different laptop I seem to get a different buffer?
    I don't really understand the difference between the "open file" icon and the "projects" icon. Are they really the same, except that the second one tries to present the canned folder structure? In that projects dialog I cannot make out what the icons are or what they mean, BTW.
    What I really find confusing is the "save" icon. Why does it not remember the filename I loaded from? The filename also isn't displayed. So I always have to remember to save to the correct file, accept the "do you really want to overwrite?" warning, etc. Very confusing, at least to me.
    I guess this last point is the one that really bothers me the most: that the IDE doesn't remember the source of the editor window and present conventional "save" and "save as..." options.

• Had a conversation about this a while ago... see Version v0.47, and now we have v0.57.1. 'It' seems not to be trivial, and certain tings are just not possible because it is an anonymous connectivity. Showing the file name would be a good thing, and also the path that it would save to. But as said, it is a while ago, and @Gordon made great improvements. For my own sake, I now put the path file name as comment in the top of my code... ;-)... the poor man's solution, but it works quite well for me (have just to make sure if I save it under a new name that I also change it in the file name... :(... diszipline up to me).

Good thing is the pop-up on save with same name that asks - in OS X - if I want to overwrite... This extra click 'stopped' bothering me...

Sometimes I'd like to jave a save-short cut like ctrl/cmd-s(ave). But other than that, it is what it is, and works pretty good for me.

The reason that the IDE is not a full fledged thing like many pro-IDEs (Eclipse, IntelliJ, ...) is the targeted audience: a more powerful IDE is intimidating... A marriage with a more modern JS and context supporting editor - Atom / Sublime / Brackets could be of help. Too bad that integration of the HW- things isn't that greate or easy... if even possible (for me, a build-tool-chain is not good enough). After all, I like the Web orientation of the IDE - Browser and plug-in/extension is good enough... too bad it is limited to Chrome... But more recently the node IDE is up, but I have not 'played' with it yet, since Chrome gives me what I need.

• First version of WebIDE supported filehandling for local files. There are a lot of restrictions inside chrome because of security. One of them is you have to select files manually. There is no way to store or load a file without manually selecting this file in selectbox. Nothing like "file://C:..." works.
    In a later version projects plugin was added. In this a local sandbox needs to be assigned. Chrome supports handling of files and directorys in a sandbox much better compared to ordinary files.
    One example is searching for modules. In source window the command require("modulname") is used to search inside local sandbox for this module. Open a file by name without manual interaction is impossible. If you know a way, please let me know. I would be very interested.
    Another example is the projects tab. You get a list of existing js-projects and load this into your editor. The plugin remembers this name and once you open the project-folder again, there is a save button for this project. SaveAs is supported by typing a new name into the textbox at the bottom of the list and click the save button.
    Both options follow a different philosophy and have their pros and cons, take the one, which fits best for you.

• Yeah, it's basically because when writing a Chrome Web App you're fighting Chrome's arbitrary restrictions. For security (supposedly) it doesn't let the IDE know the path of the file that's been saved, so it can't work out the filename!

The 'save to cloud storage' saves your code whenever it's changed, so the next time you load the Web IDE it starts. If you're logged in on both machines with the same google account, the code should be shared between both.

... however none of it is rocket science. It's all just JavaScript and HTML so if something is annoying you it's pretty easy to change it :)

• Post a reply
    • Bold
    • Italics
    • Link
    • List
    • code
    • Preview
About

Confused by IDE

Posted by Avatar for tve @tve

Actions