IDE upload is slow

Posted on
  • When I hit the IDE "Send to Espruino" button I see an echo(0) line and then it pauses for several seconds. Looking at what happens on a scope it's evident that somehow the IDE makes a lot of pauses, why is that? If I take exactly the same code and paste it into a terminal window connected to Espruino it gets uploaded in 200ms. The time taken by the IDE seems independent of the "throttle send" config switch.

• Did you a) first connect and then upload? - or - b) upload and on-demand connect?

• First connect and then upload. Didn't know one can hit the upload button when disconnected...

• Performing a reset() before upload can help. Event though not rational to me, something may still go on on the board().

• The Web IDE sometimes waits for responses to commands. So I think after sending reset() it might wait, and if it doesn't get a response it would delay.

The other thing is it might be 'throttling' writes. Originally some boards would drop characters if you sent data too fast, so the Web IDE would slow down the rate at which it sent data unless it knew the board worked well. I'm not sure it it's still doing that.

The way to check would be to download the IDE via GitHub, then you can enter development mode and see the console.

• Post a reply
    • Bold
    • Italics
    • Link
    • List
    • code
    • Preview
About

IDE upload is slow

Posted by Avatar for tve @tve

Actions