• Most of the time, even with throttling of code send enabled (which I seem to need for complex code, but not for simple things), firmware flash works normally.

But sometimes (fairly rarely, it seems) - it decides to throttle the firmware updates. Which means the Espruino is out of commission for 10 minutes or so while it slowly updates the firmware. This is intensely annoying, and I'm afraid to unplug the Espruino during this agonizingly slow update, for fear of leaving it in a state where I can't correctly flash it again. Is there something I'm dong wrong that triggers this?

• I don't know why it would happen - the slow write is definitely forced off: https://github.com/espruino/EspruinoWebI­DE/blob/master/js/core/flasher.js#L309

Maybe you could run the version from GitHub and then right-click, inspect element, and view the console - so you can see if anything strange is happening.

To be honest it won't be the end of the world if you just close the Web IDE mid-flashing. The bootloader is designed not to break itself, so you can always re-flash again.

• Hmm, I'll take a look at it if I can reproduce it.

That's good to know that it's safe to end a flash early if it's being throttled - that makes dealing with it a lot less troublesome.

• Post a reply
    • Bold
    • Italics
    • Link
    • List
    • code
    • Preview
About

How does the Web IDE decide how whether to throttle firmware updates?

Posted by Avatar for DrAzzy @DrAzzy

Actions