• Hello

I installed the HC-05 bluetooth module to my espruino, and I'm confident it works fine as I can connect to it from picocom in Ubuntu.
    I used this guide (https://gist.github.com/xseignard/936782­9) to configure the connection to espruino and I can send commands and receive results from the terminal.
    However the web ide can not detect the serial port for the bluetooth connection (/dev/rfcomm0)

I tried to symlink it as suggested to be done for OS X, but it didn't work. I symlinked to /dev/ttySpruino, /dev/ttyACM0, /dev/tty.usbmodem12345, and none of these did work.
    Is there a way I could force the web ide to use a specific device, as I know for certain that it would work using /dev/rfcomm0?

Perhaps it would be useful to have an option in the connection window of the web ide to allow the user to enter a device path manually instead of relying only on those detected by Chrome!

Thanks!

Elvis

• Thanks! I'll check this out - it'll be a Chrome issue as the Web IDE doesn't filter the results.

For now, have you tried Chromium? At least on 12.04 this is an older version that doesn't have the filtering 'feature' in it :)

• I just installed Chromium (version 31) and the Web IDE is working fine now!

As you suggested, it now lists all /dev/ttyS* devices, so I've just chosen /dev/ttySpruino and it connected fine and worked like a charm.

For the record, I'm using Ubuntu 13.10 64-bit and I installed Chromium from the default repositories.
    Now I can program my espruino remotely, it's just great!

Thanks Gordon!

Elvis

• No problem! I'll try and issue a bug report with Google. Don't know if they'll pay it any attention!

• It'd help if anyone else having problems could 'star' this issue: https://code.google.com/p/chromium/issue­s/detail?id=368161

It'll help to make it more important in the Chrome dev team's eyes :)

• I starred it already.
    Let's cross our fingers...

• I am also an Ubuntu user; I recently switched from Chromium to Chrome because Chromium keeps crashing and has lots of other negative issues (it seems like it does not receive the level of maintenance and support that Chrome does); so switching back to Chromium is not an option for me. I was able to prove that BT worked using puTTY; but I just want to add my name as weight that I would appreciate a Chrome solution. BTW, this is my first experience with Javascript; I am using your board as motivation to learn something new! James

• Which version of Ubuntu are you on? I'd hoped that this had been fixed properly now.

From the bug it sounds like you can do:

sudo ln -s /dev/rfcomm0 /dev/ttyBluetooth

to create a symlink between bluetooth and rfcomm, which would be enough to fool chrome?

• Post a reply
    • Bold
    • Italics
    • Link
    • List
    • code
    • Preview
About

[SOLVED] Cannot connect to Web Ide via bluetooth in Ubuntu

Posted by Avatar for egalle @egalle

Actions